BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, June 09, 2006

Ladies Night…Oh what a night…

Last night I went to yet another wine tasting. I have not made up my mind if I like these outings, with my group. I have always enjoyed drinking, heck, who doesn’t. I grew up in a rather sophisticated environment and was exposed to the finer things in life. Not that I had a “silver spoon” in my mouth, but my family was BIG on the “proper” way of doing things. I am thankful now, but balancing that book on my head was just wrong.

In fact I remember sitting at the table about age 6 using my spoon like a shovel. This did not sit well with my father. He asked me to hold it properly, and then demonstrated. I just kept “shoveling” the food in and he asked me again to hold it correctly. When I defied him, he took the back of his fork and walloped me on the top of the hand, right across the knuckles. I can honestly say that I learned 2 things right then and there. 1. If you are going to defy your father, you are going to get walloped and 2. When you don’t hold your silverware properly at the table, you get walloped. LOL ;o) Never had that problem again. My point being that I was taught to be “proper” (If they could see me now..BAWWAAHHHHHHH)

OK so I am sitting in the class for Cabernet wines.(Not my favorite, but I figured this might be a good way to learn which ones I would want to serve with a good dinner) There are 20 people at this very long table. This is called “flight school”. Am I going somewhere? I have no idea why or how they came up with this name… ANYWAY it cost a flat fee of $15 and you get to taste 5 different wines and they bring you appetizers between, the food is a way to bring out the flavor and undertones in the wines. I have always been a fan of the Merlot and Pinot Grigo’s so I thought, how cool. Besides I can always spit it out if I don’t like it. The “teacher” was telling us about the history of the wine and the makers. She provided advise and info as to which year to look for and the retail price on these savory treats. I started thinking…I want her job. I can talk about the winery in California or the vineyards of Italy…I can suggest that the smell and high note and low note of the wine smells and tastes of cedar. The class concluded, and she left us to go to a Stoli’s Blueberry event. (OK side note YUM!) This is where the hottest chicks in barely nothing on, walks around with shots that have the featured booze on a tray (AKA: shot girls) and get customers to buy it, at a discounted rate. I digress…

I don’t know about you all, but how cool would it be to have a job drinking, and getting everyone else drinking. (I am not talking about being a bartender). I want to know how do I get a job like this? I mean could I pay my bills and make a good living? Would I have to work fantastic hours? Would I get to drink on the job???? OK so maybe I am glamorizing this job….

OK So back to the whole end of the event, a group of us decide to get some “real food” and they all settle on the SUSHI. Great, I can always eat a tuna or cali roll. Then it happened. They want to split the check for everyone at the table. WHAT??? I realize that we ordered “family style” but why am I paying $23 for 2 rolls and Iced Tea? I will tell you why. No, not a freeloader, lets divide the check by how many people are at the table??? SO I just paid for 3 peoples booze and didn’t get any??? NOPE That is the last time. I don’t care if I look cheap. I am asking for my own bill. I am not independently wealthy and I do not have a TON of extra money in my checkbook, (Formally known as disposable income). I have to admit, I really enjoyed meeting new people, we are just will have to strangle miss “Suzi let’s split the bill”. SO I guess on the “flip” side I paid for ambience…GOOD GRAVEY, I could have had that and my $20 bucks back if I would have left and just gone to my regular ladies night karaoke.

So let me know if I am being too cheap by thinkin’ this way. Maybe I am just being too frugal and I should live a little??? Damn it..I should have said, pass the booze!

10 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Anonymous said...

You are not being too frugal. They hosed you.

Dividing up the check equally is the lazy way to do it, and in cases where one person ate that much less and didn't drink alcohol it is inconsiderate.

That being said, I have been in many situations where that has been done before to me. And believe me when I tell you that in those cases I usually ate and drank more than my share of the bill so I made out like a bandit.

Think about that the next time someone hoses you. You get hosed, someone makes out like a bandit. This is my public service message to you.

Los said...

If everybody orders similar stuff, it is o.k. to split the bill. However, I'll usually pipe up if I, or someone else is getting hosed. It is just the kind of guy I am.

Mama en Fuego said...

I think you are being reasonable. Unreasonable is my uncle dividing the price of the nacho's at Chili's ($5.99) by the number of family members that actually ate the nachos down to which child ate what and how much of it.

But when the guy next to you gets the lobster and you're eating chicken splitting the bill square isn't cool.

Superstar said...

Smokin: What was I thinking asking if I was being too frugal...hell there is no such thing as being TOO frugal! LOL ;o)
Los: I need to borrow your balls.

Becka: HE DID WHAT??? SERIOUSLY??!?!?! *sigh* OK Wow!

snowelf said...

Yea, that's just wrong. $23 dollars for that indeed!There is nothing wrong with being "smart" with your money. Ever.
So there. Validation complete.

:)

--snow

smialek316 said...

You are not being too cheap at all, I would have done the same thing. That is why I always stick to my "low end" places.

I got a kick out of the part about following one's parents orders. That was one of the funnest parts of my teenage years, finding creative ways to defy the parents and not get caught. with me it went from "come home by 10, 11 PM, 12AM,",etc. to: "Please come home at some point during the weekend...please???"

I must admit that I am not a wine fan, but if they send around hot looking "shot girls" to offer samples, I think I am going to quickly become a fan. Where do I sign up?

Anonymous said...

I'll clarify by saying this.

If you are in a situation where everyone gets an entree and drinks at the table, and a bunch of appetizers are involved, I think it's OK to do the even split. The difference of about 5 bucks either way is usually OK. I went out with a group of 9 a few weeks back where we all drank, we all ate heartily, and we divided the bill by 9. Some people only had a couple of drinks while others had 4. In that case, we would have been there until midnight doing the math. Nobody felt ripped off by it.

But if someone had not drank at the table and only got a salad, then they should not have to be forced to be thrown in with us. And if they had spoken up, I wouldn't have minded. I like to think we would have told them to only put in for their salad before they spoke up.

And by the way... I drank a nice cabernet sauvignon that night. It was a great meal.

I'll say this to my good man Mr. Smialek. If you saw some of the babes that have given a wine tasting at the wineries I have been to, and given free samples of their wine, you would be hooked. You don't know what you are missing.

mollymcmo said...

ohhhh, its the spam whore above my comment, would you look at that (and i am now stuck in a rut saying whore, damn.)

i guess i'm just white trash cause i have no idea what wine goes with what, if red/white is dry, all's i know is i like fruity wine.

thats all, and it has to be in a wine glass, not a regular juice glass.

i am classy i tell you! LMAO!

m

Marie said...

Hey Superstar just found your blog. I like it. I love to sing and write poetry. I am also a single woman over 30. It is really tough out there for us single folks.

My brother just started his own Karaoke business in Sin City. Please check out my blog when you have a chance.

Christina_the_wench said...

super, a chick has to watch her dough. No shame in it at all.