BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 30, 2007

Cranium Crunch



So I have a bunch of ideas and too much going on in my life to do a "regular" post.

1. Headlines read: Man hit twice by lightning. UM???? If I were to get hit once, I don't think I would be walking around lookin' to get hit a second time! ~shakes head~ I mean if i EVEN had an idea there MIGHT be an electrical storm...I would HIDE in my basement.

2. Lindsey in Rehab. Well, DUH! It's about time. I mean, Brittney, Paris and Nicole ALL have been there this summer...I was just awaiting the whole..."Lindsey" speal...Please...Tell me something that will really INFORM me?!?!?!?!

3. I am already developing a list of annoying habits of New fish. Is that bad? Should I be thinking that already? ~rolls eyes~ I almost get the feeling that I am looking for "the other shoe to drop" so to speak. HMMMM

4. More bad news about my Mom. While I find her nearly impossible at times to have a conversation with. I can't help but wonder, is it the medication, illness or a combo of both? Perhaps it's her "victim mentality" that is really my greatest frustration. Her breast cancer has matastisized to her bones. Prognossis, is to treat w/ radiation and chemo. After a lung transplant, really, what more should any human have to endure to continue surviving??? Then I will talk with her on the phone, and get mad. WHY? I should be more patient. Well here is an example of our convo:

Me: Hey there.

Mom: So how is school going?

Me: I-

Mom: I bet the kids are all excited to be back?

Me: Sure! They-

Mom: Well, you know I had the bone scan?

Me: No, I-

Mom: Well, I am all done with the radiation for now, but...blah blah blah

~5min later, saying UMM HMM and AHHHH~

Then, I had the appointment with my lab nurse and we wnet over the blood work and...

Me: MOM!

Mom: OH?

Me: Mom? Can I get a word in here?

Mom: Well, I thought you wanted to know what is going on?

Me: *deep sigh*

Bloggers, it's like that everytime I have a convo with her. Despite all that has happened in my life she only wants to talk about HER! Tell ME how my day went! WHO does that? Am I the ONLY daughter who experiences this???

Please advise?

12 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed old people love to talk about their illnesses, it's the drama I guess.
My mom talks and talks when I call her too, sometimes I have to hold the handset away from my ear.lol
HUGS
tc

WanderingGirl said...

Oh, honey, you're not the only one. I adore my mother, but sometimes she makes me nuts. She adores her mother, and Gram nearly always makes me nuts.

Now, I'm sure you already know about the 3 Bs of breast cancer: Breast to Bone to Brain. While your mom may just be cooky, it may be that she's developing lesions in her brain that are changin her behavior. Also, I recently was made aware of "chemo brain" (when my Gram went through chemo) where the brain literally mimics dementia.

Whatever it is, know that you're not the only one who shrugs, rolls eyes, sighs, and holds the phone away from her head when talking to good ol' mom. Sometimes I feel bad for it, and sometimes I think it's the only way to maintain sanity.

Hugs.

WanderingGirl said...

Oh, and by the way, I had a teacher in high school who was hit by lightning twice. Both times on a golf course when he wouldn't quit playing "the perfect round" despite lightning. You can't fix stupid.

Flash said...

I had a great grandmother that did the same thing. It turned out to be the start of dimensa...I hop it's not that with your mom...

Marie said...

I agree that it could be the chemo brain. I have a friend that is really sick with cancer right now and sometimes it is hard to carry on conversations with her. They can be very spacey, which may be why your mom doesn’t hear you answers. She may not even realize that you didn’t finish talking! Good luck and don’t feel bad. We all love our mom’s but there are times that they deserve the eye rolls 

Superstar said...

Top Cat: AHHH Back from your break! YEAH! Set her on speaker phone? Let her go on and on *giggles*

Wandering girl: OK I feel better knowing that SHE is not the only one that does this...Again, I think it may be meds as well as everything else...It's just so hard to remind myself.

Marie: Thank you! LOL Spacey! *giggles*
Flash: Her brain is fried...Then again...1/2 the time she uses big words and trys to sound like a Dr...I don't know.
I just have a hard time, imagining my life, living to go to Dr. appt after Dr. Appt....
*sigh*

Jim McKee said...

I lost my mother 2 weeks before I turned 22. Cherish your mom... once she's gone, you will miss her, even the annoying parts.

minijonb said...

Maybe you should have your mother read your blog... that'll solve everything!

=:-)

Los said...

It's sounds like a badge of honor, in a way ... talking about an illness like that. My mom loves talking about her cataracts ... weird.

Mama en Fuego said...

Well, knowing your mom. I think that sometimes its easier to talk about the illnesses in their lives than to talk about their feelings. She more than likely relizes that she is in a very bad position and rather than dwell on what she feels is the inevitable she's filling her life and her conversations with the "filler."

I don't think she intends to be ego centric, and I certainly don't think it indicates that she is disinterested in your life. She's sick and she's dying and she knows it and she's probably at a loss for how to deal with it.

{{{HUGS}}}

Lets reschedule poolside margaritas soon.


P.S. Mothers are supposed to drive their children crazy, it's a universal law and I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere in the Bible.

Superstar said...

MiniJon: {{{{GASP}}}}
Then WHO could I talka bout!?!!?!?!? *giggles*

Los: I know. I go the gamit on the emotions...I know I don't have much time...then It's just so exasperating!!!

Mama: You know better than anyone, the DRAMA my family can supply!
YES! Margatini's poolside! When will monsoons' be gone? Seriously! the humnidity is HORRIBLE!

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

My mom's cancer-free and still talks about herself. Oh well.

I want the list of things that piss you off about the new fish!!!