BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Happy 4th!!!

Happy 4th of July. Our freedom from Mother England. Our Fresh new start...Happy Birthday.

As a kid, I used to LOVE the 4th of July. School was out and time to hang out at our lake cabin. Family all gathered at the lake and enjoyed spending the tim together. We would gather wood for the beach fire and plot the making of the smores.

We would HAVE to go with Dad and grandpa to the fireworks stand. There we would beg and plead for the "biggest" package. I would always want the "coolest" and the longest lasting. Dad would say, "WHY? they are just going to be over in a hour...why not enjoy everyone elses? we will just get this family pack at the reasonalbe price." (Jeesh I wonder where I get my penny pinching ways?)

My sister and I would get to bring a friend with us, and that would be a crazy thing. For the record we only had 1 indoor bathroom and an outhouse. SOOOOO you do the math w/ 7 girls and 4-5 men. LOL ;) The cabin had one bedroom that the door closed. My grandparents slept in the loft with us girls on old army cots and my parents would sleep in the camper. Dwnstairs was the fire place with all us kids handprints. The stairs were cast iron circular to the loft. w had the flat A frame and 3 skylights in the roof. GREAT for seeing stars and storms.

Of course there would be jumping off the dock and waterskiing, every year. The annual challenge of swimming across and back to the otherside...The countless sunburns and noxema rubs. There was the one year on the way home from the lake that the boat "launched" itself into the Rathrum Spring Creek. It was like watching a Bruce Lee movie in slow motion. As I saw it launching, and said, "grandpa, the boat is going for a swim" The boat was gone...LOL ;)

Then there was the summer that my sister broke out in hives from head to toe. No, not poison Ivy, from all the hiking we did to go pic blueberry and blackberries in the woods. This she got from a food allergy. She was allergic to cranberries, oranges and grapefruit. Somehow this trio in a fruit salad left us all in the ER while all the fireworks were going on outside. ~ rolls eyes~

I miss things like my grandpa sleeping in his recliner in the cabin, while we all "hung" out on the dock in the sun. My Grandma would jump in the water and a couple of times sh even went water skiing. I look back now and think...WOW My grandma is one hip chickie...I remember playing games of aggravation, and Scrabble. I would look on as the cribbage board got it's work out while the "adults" drank what my grandma called, "dirty water" turns out it was 7 and 7...hmmmm dirty my big toe...~mumbles~

I think to my future and the memories that I want to make with friends and family. I think of the lakes, and fireworks displays that people are no longer allowed to set. I think of the over populated lakes and boats that churn our once quiet and private beaches. I think of all the people that will not sit in the ER because of fireworks that blew up fingers.

I wonder what it might be like to not have the freedoms and liberties that I so deeply enjoy. What if I had been born in Russia, or Iraq or Africa. I wonder how children can truely be happy where they grow up learning how to shoot an oozie rather than swim or water skii in the lakes. I wonder if happiness is not getting an arm chopped off, as I marvl at the dimonds on my family ring.

While you hear the fireworks, and celebrate with the bers and "dirty water" drinks. Think of all the Men and Women that are fighting for all to share our freedom. cheers to the Military families that sacrifice so that you and I can have lake cabin memories.

Happy 4th!

Let me know some of your favorite 4th memories.

13 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Jen said...

All my 4th of July memories do not include my childhood, weird huh. I was at Disneyworld one year for the 4th, what a fireworks show! I do agree, it is a day to thank god we are free from Mother England, our independence, that other countries long and yearn for, but WE DID IT! Happy July 4th!

Los said...

I have great 4th of July memories - I used to love to go to the fireworks events in our town, and go to the Phillies game and watch the fireworks from Vet Stadium turf ... what great times they were.

Just telling it like it is said...

I got a little confused there when you said, everyone would fight for the biggest package and the longest lasting..what kind of 4th of july where you having...
then I realized I just have a dirty mind...tehhheheh..ooppsss

Art_Fulldodger said...

One of my best memories was going to a cabin on a lake that my parents rented for the summer. The down side was I almost drowned in the lake, but the up side was just hanging out there for a month or so.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Bambi.
Wonderful memories.
Happy 4th of July
tc

Mama en Fuego said...

I was too drunk to remember most of my 4th of July's so I have to dig deep in the memory bank on this one to when I was a wee lass. I as back in PA and we were at may aunt and uncles house. I think I was about 10. We were grillin' bosi's, making baked beans and my uncle was setting the night ablaze with fireworks. They lived on a hill so they got some good air and the whole town could see the display. My brothers, cousins and I ran around in the grass chasing each other with sparklers. The yard was really the whole dang hill because out there they don't fence in their yards, just their cows. Good times, good memories. Thanks Bambi, I had forgetten about that...

Superstar said...

Jen: Ahhh. Most of childhood memories were not so great...so the good ons make up for it!

Los: I have never seen fireworks from a stadium before. That must have been cool!!!

Just: *giggles* You funny lady! You make me smile too! "package"

Rainman: Why do I get the picture of Dirty Dancing cabins in my mind?? *giggles* A month? That would be un heard of now a days...Spending 4 weeks at your "vacation" home??? Unless you are Paris Hilton...

Superstar said...

Mama: That is what I am here for...:D

Top Cat: you bet! So ~folds arms and taps foot~ Where is your story?

HUMMMMMMM?????
~finishes guilt sami for TC~
*giggles*

Jenny! said...

Very nice post, great memories! 4th of July for me is like a carbon copy every year! Same old...but still fun!

Anonymous said...

D'oh! a story? ...gulp...rolls eyes upwards thinking..ummmm
I remember when I lived out in the country, one of the kids I went to school with had a cherry bomb go off in his hand and messed him up pretty good.

I remember going out to Gramma's cottage by the lake and eating cool food and watching the fireworks.:)
tc

minijonb said...

I don't really enjoy the 4th that much... must have something to do with spending all that time in summer camp in Canada during the month of July when I was a kid... damn Canadians!!!

= ; - )

Superstar said...

Top Cat: YOu crack me up!!!

MiniJonB: Why on earth would you go to canada for Summer camp????

I loved Summer camp.

snowelf said...

I love when you do memories posts!!!

When I was little I HATED loud noises, so I used to beg only for sparklers and those black snake things that blew away in the wind.

I was such a wussy little kid!! :P

--snow