
I have always been the type of person who will make lemonade out of the pile of lemons on my front porch. I see the glass half full and the "sun will come out tomorrow" kind of gal.
I have been doing contract work in the HR FIELD for about 2 years now and everytime I am "between" contracts I drive my friends, family and the innocent bystander at the gas station NUTS with my ranting and raving. I normally just go about working my glow business, but well, it is the SUMMER in the valley and EVERYONE is GONE! I can't imagine why, with 55% humidity and 120 F temps??? I am shocked! I stress as to "where will the next check come from" and "what am I going to do now?" Normally I line one thing up to the next and well, this time I failed to have the "next" thing. So now I am thinking, maybe this would be a good stopping point and an opportunity to change my career path. I find myself asking perfect strangers what they do for a living. I then try to imagine ME in that job. Some are better than others, but hey I do have "extra" time on my hands so...here are some of the responses I have had:
Stripper: LOL ;p) Well At least I wouldn't have to change my name! I think Molly covered this as BAD Naked. I hear that there are guys out there that "enjoy" "large" women, but NOT the job for me. I have a hard enough time walking around in a halter top and shorts, let alone letting the twins out in public.
[shakes head]
Fireman: LOL Right. OK I could do that. First I would have to pass the physical test...Run with 60 lbs of "stuff" (pesky hoses and gear) to the top of a 43 story building. Sure let me get my inhaler out while I am running. OK so I guess racing to the next 3 alarm is not for me.
Cop: Well, honestly unless I am a meter maid handing out tickets for BAD Driving, I doubt I could do this job. I took a policing morality course in college and discovered that while I would LOVE to save the world, I could not do this job.
Attorney: I actually started out Pre-Law in College and like everyone else switched majors. I worked in an law office and let me just say, attorney's wouldn't get SH*T done if it were not for the paralegals!!!
Just to recap let me tell you all the things I have done. See I am not afraid to try something new or if I HATE where I work to get something else. I have been very lucky that I only have me to consider when making these changes. I have worked for: Child support OSE-county prosecutor, Owned a coffee stand, and airline (gate, ticket counter baggage claim HR)Car rental (Insurance replacement) and various staffing and HR contracts (In the middle of all that I did 1 year as a SW in a nursing home, WHile my Mom was recovering from her lung transplant). Maybe it is time to expand on my skills and be something new? Should I just go back to school full time? Should I go back to bartending? UGHHHHHH??!?!?!?!
So I am opening up my blog to suggestions. I will be taking all seriously and offering a special prize to whom ever can come up with the best suggestion!
Thursday, July 06, 2006
Job vs. Career
Single Suburbian blah blah blah from Superstar at 9:13 AM

23 Left me pearls of wisdom:
Have you thought about working for the county or something like that.
Something like building permits or what not.
You'd get all federal holidays off and evenings off as well to sell your blinkies. You'd also get full benifits if they take you full time. It would give you the added benifit of a retirement package.
Whatever you do, don't go into radio.
ummmmm, you seem like a very friendly outgoing person so whatever you choose to do i suggest something to do with people.
like social work, physio, teaching
or you can be my live in nanny and go psycho with my children then end up in a locked unit of a psych ward not having to worry about a roof over your head, or where the next meal is coming from....
just a thought.
m
There's always that "Fluffer" position that is in high demand...
Nikki has a point, they are doing some serious hiring in my town because we are growing so fast. I never would have thought of it if Nikki hadn't mentioned it.
Again, you could always come work for me and work for a very small wage and deal with cranky old people all day. LOL!
Nikki's full of b-a-l-o-n-e-y. The county, and any other gov't, only hires rude unhappy people on power trips. They are a breed, and you don't sound like you've been breeding nearly long enough.
Having said that, I think Gilbert and Chandler are hiring 911 operators. Takes a cool cat for that one.
I used to be a stripper. I would dress in a fireman costume and put out a small blaze with my "hoze". I miss those days.
Hmmmmmmm. I, too, have had many a different job title. I like the county Bullshit job, if only for the benefits and holidays. However, the inanity of govt and the stupid people might kill you. My brother (who's got an OUTSTANDING IQ) is a county ditch digger. He has fun sabotaging people's water lines when they give him grief. But the benefits, OT and side jobs make it worth it. Plus, he can do whatever he wants when he's not in a hole.
Oooo - since you're a girly girl how about hawking cosmetics at the department store - you can spritz the stupid people with foul smelling shit AND take home the freebies.
Or road psychic? Ooooooooooo. We could get you a magic 8 ball. Oooooooooo.
Misunderstood. Once again...
Travel Agent
or
Hotel Management tpye thing
Travel Agent
or
Hotel Management tpye thing
Pooper: BAWWWAAHHHHHH A.) Drive to Gilberrt or Chandler for a $12/hr job??? B.) See Becka's notes..."Oh do you have a boo boo??? ok call someone who cares!!!" "What your child is in a drain pipe? Why weren't you watching them and providing SUPERVISION??????" OFF w/ your head I say.
Nikki: City state and government jobs...got it. They rarely need HR and I am always getting, "You are OVER QUALIFIED for this job" line. When I try to get in on the "entry level"
IAI: I must have left out the 2 years I spent as a MARY KAY beauty consultant. ;o( Although working retail and spraying and making over rich whores....hmmmmm this line has some potential.
EL Padrino: Being a Travel agent after working in the airport...is like being a senator after being president of the US... JUST NOT THE SAME! Hotel management....From what I hear, the people are horrible and the money even worse... I like being in the back room behind my computer. EXCEPT when I am in full on hiring mode. Then I HATE all people and my water bottles are replaced with Vodka to tolerate the STUPID ones. So I see here that you didn't grad HS and you have never had a job. So why should I hire you?
*crickets chirping*
Water please? [wink]
These are some great suggestions....
DICK: LOL ;p) I guess you did the strippin to put yourself through college??? LOL ;o) I get your humor...Thanks for stopping by...I have missed you!
El Padrino, you're repeating yourself, man. Not that there's anything WRONG with that - it's better than talking to yourself, or arguing with those VOICES in your head.....
I'm drunk
I'm drunk
Mall PR. Seriously - it's marketing and soooooooooo easy. Plus, there are perks like shopping discounts, freebies and food courts. Of course, malls scare the bejesus outta me (it's all the teenybopper whores - ick) but nice benefits.
Teenie bopper whores...major ick. I want to slap those girls parents don't you? I'm sorry but I never would have been able to dress that way. Granted I was a tomboy and not really prone to wearing tight fitting or revealing clothes but my GOD these kids don't have jobs so someone's buying the shit for them!!
IAI: MALL PR...I think that Clear Station owns most of the advertising in there. I have a few contacts in that company...I should call them. I haven't been inside a mall in 8 years...do you think that I would be a good candidate??? LOL ;o) I have "issues" w/ malls. I will drive 20 miles out of my way to avoid them. I found 2 batha nd body outlets that are NOT inside a mall and GO There IN lou of the one that is closer to my house...I am sick!...
I am still thinking the flying 8 ball is more my speed...
EL: Being drunk is not a profession...Or I would know a lot of people that would qualify!
Sure, you'd make a great mall employee - just lie at the interview, we all lie during interviews! (Maybe I'll post "how to beat the polygraph" soon ...)
What about working for B&B in a non-mall environment? Could you wear the apron??
Here's my idea--and hear me out.
Flight Attendant.
Someone I used to work with was a flight attendant and she loved it. They make phat money. Plus the travel benefits rock. And you don't have kids to worry about, so you're totally free there.
I think you would so totally rock at that. You totally have the personality for it and you're already use to "freaky bar people." ;)
Are you afraid of flying?
And there is the thing that it might interfere with the watching your sis's kids gig.
But there's my idea for you. :)
real estate
Snowelf: I did the whole airline thing...I even cross-trained as a flight attendant. NO more...I can't throw one more old lady off the e-exit when the plane crashes... LOL ;o) Story for a whole different day.
EL: What kind of real estate???
Stevo: Yeah but see I would hate to lay on my back all the time! BAWAAHHHHHHH LOL ;o)
That's okay! At least I picked something not totally off the mark for you. :)
*feels proud*
Post a Comment