Open you minds. This is the demention beween light and dark, the fear of the unknown...you have entered the TWILIGHT ZONE.
That's right, my life is as strange as an episode from Rod Serling.
Four months ago, I was asked *ahem* ok more like supoena, but hey, who is keeping score. So after four months I get a call from the attorney who, demands that I sit in on a deposition and then tells me ~blinks and looks around~ DEMANDS that I take a day off from work and attend. I politly explain that I work at a small school and that the cost of getting a sub is not the only problem. She interupts me to say, "we will be covering your expenses". To which I reply, I will talk to my boss about. it.
Now, most of you are saying, DUH, Bambi, it's a supoena, you HAVE to go. NO. I HAVE to go to my own, not the person who is sueing my ex-employer. *sigh*
So I left a message today, that I need to know by the end of the day so that I can arrange a sub for my class. No message and NO phone call.
I don't think that I am being unreasonable, after all, it is me that is doing THEM a favor. ~rolls eyes~
SO.....while I may not be able to post much this week, I will be sure to update you on the case. FYI it is a ex employee who was fired. This person THINKS that she was fired for having MS. Really, she was fired because...well, AZ is a "right to work state". while the reasons are true and blue...I can't eait for the egg to splat on her face....finally after 2 1/2 years put this to rest.
Anyone else go through a civil lawsuit and have any valuable advice????


15 Left me pearls of wisdom:
I once heard, There's no such thing as a bad victory or a good lawsuit.
OOOO drama. Glad someone else has it too! Thansk for stopping bye! Your advice about this damn state is invaluable :)
Um btw..comment above mine... you knwo what I am thinking? Huh? do ya? woooooweeee
Ugh. It's possible if you keep being a pain in the ass about it, they may just say screw it and forget about you. Or, more likely, the woman's lawyer will think you're avoiding it b/c you're in cahoots with the old employer and are trying to hide something ...
Damn. Basically, you gotta go.
Once the subpoena comes out, you don't have much of a choice. Although I personally think it's bullshit, considering you don't work there anymore - sheesh.
But make sure you get paid - I think the going rate is $35 paid ON THE DAY you testi-lie. You also get the going rate for mileage to and from, but that check usually comes much, much later.
about the only advice i have is get any promises in writing. have 'em put it down on paper so you can prove it later.
I was suopenaned once too a customer was claiming thta we did not deliveyr his stuff. We did, we had proof and it was 8 plus hours of my life I will never get back!
i've never been in any suit (knock on wood) i'm useless with this one.
m
I've never been to court before. I do, however, get the joy and pleasure of going to a criminal trial in November.
Be direct and concise in your answers, don't elaborate unless asked to. If you can, have an attorney present when you do your deposition, even though you aren't the one in trouble it could save you some aggravation.
Lawyers like to bully people and they will bully the answers they want out of you if they can, don't let them.
I have absolutely no idea what happens in a civil suit. Or for the matter, in an uncivil suit.
God help you Bambi ... you are about to waste an entire day (or more) on what will probably amount to a frivilous lawsuit.
Gotta love those #%&^$ lawyers.
I try to stay far away from all court-houses. I get a sick feeling anytime I'm near one.
I was called in for jury duty once - thankfully, I wasn't picked to sit on a jury ... I fear that someday, I will.
LBB: I can always count on you for the oxymoron...LOL ;o)
Dallas: Any time sugar...But when you need advice on the ferries...*ahem* boats that is...you will want to keep a current schedule at all times...*giggles*
IAI: $35 a day ~screams at computer to IAI~ Are you FRIGGIN kidding ME?!?!?!?!?!
~shakes head~
Effing favors and my big effing mouth....
*sigh*
MinJonB: What in writing? That is what got us to the lawsuit in the first place...she wrote made up crap down!!!
Christina: So you got off easy. ;o) JK...
Molly: Well, tell me then about a small tan pill...LOL ;o)
Catherine: If you want advice about Criminal court I can offer you much advice...mostly, it's plea offers and people "owning" up to a lesser plea for less than what they SHOULD pay...~rolls eyes~
Mama: As always, your words of wisdom remind me that less is more!
Yoda: be sure to drop your work suit at the cleaners!!! LOL ;o)
Paul: Well, I guess I will need to take a book an my needlepoint...LOL
Los: JD is a waste of my time, between previous Law enforcment experience and my like of capital punishment...I am thrown out right away!
never been through a civil law suit but I do know from jury experience anything to do with lawyers and the court systems makes me want to take a shower.
tc
TC: That must be bad...since most the cats I know don't like water!!!!
BAAAHHHAAAAWWAAAAHHHHH!!!!
Post a Comment