~shakes head~
Once again bloggers, I am starting out a post with my head shaking. It's just NEVER ever a good thing when I do this.
Halloween can be a fun holiday and with all the crazy wackos out there, you would think that school should be a fun place to celebrate. Well that was the theory.
Last year, the school I taught at was on break for the doomed holiday. I didn't have to address it. This year, we have just returned from out break. My homeroom students, excited with the possibilities to decorate and dress up, asked me what we can do? I said, I don't know, but I will find out.
I had a parent who also was so excited that she wanted to organize a clothing/costume drive and typed me a formal letter about it. FYI bloggers, in an inner city school, having a parent that 1. types let alone 2. communicates w/ teachers and staff is FAR and FEW between. So, That is when the principal put the ole kabash on the "Halloween" theme, then came tqo me an hour later with a "fix".
We are going to "celebrate" characters in literature. *blinks* *blinks* WHAT? So the idea is they can dress up but they have to bring the book/article of the character they dress up to be.. Then it's call a "parade" not "trick or treating" around the different classrooms...
So isn't that the same damn thing? Am I going to have to get permission to teach my Christmas Carol again? ~slaps forhead with hand~
OYE VEY people....
I did let the kids decorate my door after telling them our "theme" is "whipstaff manor" And students what vocab word do we recognize from out list??? MANOR!!! That is right.
~sticks out tounge~
neener, neeener, neener....
Anyone else dealing with this either with students or your own kids????


10 Left me pearls of wisdom:
My God. Has it come to that? Good luck navigating the political waters as a teacher.
Effing nitwits.
I grew up being one of those kids who couldn't celebrate Halloween! When everyone else would dress up, I had to go sit in the library! So maybe your principal is trying to save face for a few kids who were like me! :)
I blame the one parent who would protest the holiday and is probably champing at the bit in hopes for the chance to piss on someone's fun.
Maybe the kids will pick Harry Potter, books by R.L. Stine and the like.
I hear from more and more of my teacher friends what a pain in the arse the system has become.
This is the same system that will suspend a student for bringing Tylenol or a pair of nail clippers but hang a couple of nooses from a tree and 3 days suspension is considered harsh.
No offense to any Muslims, this is directed at the system..I bet if you wanted to celebrate a Muslim holiday the principal would write a check for anything you needed.
Everything is out of whack and I don't see good qualified teachers staying in such an underpaid, under appreciated, overworked career in the near future.
tc
Hello! I found your blog on Desire's site. Teachers get a lot of flack. I enjoyed Halloween at my school. Most of the teachers dressed up in funny costumes, especially my band director. Great memories! Good luck with Halloween!
Did you wake up in Calcutta? Bullshit. We're going up to NYC for Halloween this year b/c they don't do it here at all. Unless you go to a church for a "fall festival" and spurn the devil.
James Dobson, I'm living Footloose!
Screw 'em - we're going to party with Lucifer in the Hedonistic City. Mwuah!
my goodness what drama. Everything is so PC these days. What if you want to dress up like a ghost of christmas past is that okay or what about the witch from the Wizard of Oz...is that acceptable?
Going as a literary character?? OMG, that's gonna be "fun".
You should go as Lizzie Bordon.
;)
I have to say, one thing about living in a small town...our school system up here ROCKS. We have a massive Halloween Party on Halloween night *a nice back up if the weather is crappy like last year, a costume parade, and all of the teachers dress up. One of the teachers was Mr. Incredible last year. He looked great! We are even still allowed to bring "non store bought" treats. Can you believe that?
I'm sorry you have to deal with all this crap.
--snow
LBB sadly, yes.
jen: OHH so this is a good thing??? Thank gawd it's only a 1/2 day...
Jali: It's the same damn guy from last year calling up about the Christmas carrol....LOL
There is ALWAYS one!!
Top Cat: I swear it's getting worse and worse. I had to have a student admitted to the rehab hospital today...dad slapped her (beat her and thre her out of a moving car) then, drove off!!!
WHAT kind of MAN let alone parent does that?!!?!?
The egg: Welcome..I can't wait to check you and your blog out!
I would love to go as my Dirty Martini...The olives are in my boobie area...LOL ;o)
IAI: Yep..I swear we live in the same inner city school district!
Christina: We picked the Dictionary, so that we could be anything...LOL ;o)
Yoda: Thank gawd it's only once a year!
snow: That's OK..I am bringin cupcakes...Screw them!!! ~rolls eyes~
Post a Comment