The year is 1990 the summer I worked for my fathers meat packing plant by morning and bartended by night. One of my life friends Melissa was finally a High School graduate. She was a year behind me in school and lived in Canada. While we are the same age, I had already started college, but that is a tidbit of information for another post.
The daily/weekly routine was to work 6-3:30 for Dad, drive home, shower change and drive up to the resturant/bar to earn as much as I could this was a Monday through Sunday. Now there were someweeks that I could ask for Saturday night and Sunday off. This allowed me to work until closing, then drive the hour and a half to the lake. Melissa's job was to take a "holiday" at the cabin her parents had rented. As much as I was jealous of it, She was always "sharing" her wealth and that made it a quid pro qui situation. I didn't have to pay for anything while I was there. She wasn't alone and we managed to get into and out of all the trouble we wanted.
I had met some "hot" looking college boys, and had introduced them to my gal friends on spring break. For those of you that have been with me, you will remember GEG guy. I had introduced them all on a trip we had back in March. So now here we are in June, and it is SUMMER time. There were a couple of weekends that the boys would arrive before or after my shift, and the fun would begin. We had the bonfirs beside the lake. We roasted the marshmellows and of course there was the "couple" time. three guys and three gals...It doesn't take long for the pairing to occur. Needless to say we were inseperatable.
That summer my favorite tape in the cassette player was Richard Marx, Hold on to the nights. I must have memorized every song. This was of course before Karaoke is what it is...
9 Left me pearls of wisdom:
Wow that my Bambi, is a toughie. I think that as we get older the stress gets different. We tend to have more experience that can cause us to over react and freak out.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss
Stress for me seems to worsen with age. Back when I was like 19, and the shit hit the fan, I always thought "not that bad, no biggie." But now, the more responsibility that I have, the worst the stress seems.
I agree with Christina. ignorance is bliss.
That's a great question, Superstar ... I think I've learned to deal with the stress better, it's just that there is more of the stress now ... If I knew then what I know now ... sigh.
Christina: LOL ;o0 I hear you on the over reaction...
Flash: Follower! LOL ;o) Just kidding. I know...I look back and I think...I must have been NUTS to drive, party and get no sleep and then drive more...
Los: Thank you! I Know how you feel...If I knew then what I know now...I would change the world!!! LOL ;o)
OMG -- Hold on to the nights!! That was my summer song too ... though not quite 1992, but definitely for 1995. I remember those days very very clearly as if it was just yesterday.
I'm in agreement with Flash. The kinda hurdles I faced when I was young, and overcame them seem insurmountable now. The slightest thing causes stress.
That was a cool story.
I think I deal with stress better now that I'm older and wiser, of course assuming I'm wiser.:)
tc
What an awesome question you have us pondering.
When my life was at it's worst, I didn't think I would survive. Now that I have survived, I look around me and feel like no matter how bad it gets or how frustrated I get--because I can't deny myself feeling those things, deep down, I know can handle ANYTHING. So, for me, anything that could come my way in comparison to the mess I got myself into and then worked hard to deal with feels very small. I think really it has to do with what Los said--it's all about how you learn to cope with things and then apply those skills later. I can tell you that I feel older and wiser and definitely more stable and put together than I ever have been in my life (despite my mommie breakdowns every now and then). ;)
--snow
Oh my do I ever, I just wish I had the wisdom of years ahead now! It is great to look back and savor the good old days and the simplicity of life then even thought it didn't seem so. I always try to find something positive no matter what in the midst of it all, many times this amounts to having a small victory like a cigar or a special coffee. I take what I can get. Hang in there!
Nothing says "I know how to handle my meat" like working at a Meat packing plant.
HOOOOYAAA!
Post a Comment