BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 13, 2007

OPA!!!!


Let me just tell y'all that if you ever visit Phoenix, AZ you MUST go to the Bacchanal Greek Restaraunte!!!
We all went this last weekend for my sister's Birthday Hoopla! She and her hubby found this place, a real delight, a few weeks ago.
I have never eaten at an "authentic" greek place before and honestly, other than a GYRO I have not had food that was made in the greek way.
The evening started with a bottle of wine, (ok 4 by the end, but in all fairness there were 7 of us) some flaming cheese and pita bread. ~MMMMMM~ Our entree included a choice of soup or salad. I opted for the soup and let's just say, ZESTO!!! I then tried the leg of lamb and veggies. I must say that I was torn between the eggplant and other wonderful dishes.
The night did not end there, we had two different belly dancers who performed. Dishes to break on the floor, then after they swept we all did the "bunny hop". OF Course they take your shoes before you bop through and out into the parking lot, back in and then it's group clapping, dancing and finally the "shoe" sale. This is where they dump the shoes on the dance floor for all to recover...any left over are sold in true auction style!
OH FYI, OPA! (said, OOOOOHHHHHHPPPPPPAAAAAAAA) What does that mean? I will tell you, that it ment a shot of OOZO is bound your way! A few of those buggers and you are on to the dance floor with the belly dancer, or singing greek with the band! The final performer, the eldest belly dancer, put quarters (nine of them) on her stomach and rolled them up and down her belly. OH! She then did it one at a time and for the PIECE DE LA RESISTANCE, every other one. UP and DOWN!!!
*sigh*
~mouth hanging open and shaking my head~
I HAD to find my singles and throw them out for that! Jesh!
Talk about stomach control! HOLY CRAP!
So all you bloggers who WANT to come visit when the heat goes away, here is the web page to make those RSVP. http://www.bacchanalgreekaz.com/home.html
Anyone else ever been to such a greek place? What was your night like?

8 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Jen said...

Sounds awesome! Did YOU show some belly? wink wink nudge nudge!

Superstar said...

Jen: It was beyond the best! I wouldn't go there expecting to have dinner and leave. The crowd is the entertainment. PLUS!!!! It took me 1 hour just to eat my dinner. We got there at 730pm and didn't leave till 1130pm.
MOI?
Please, no belly shots here! I won't even be seen in public w/ a tankini!!!!!

snowelf said...

Now I want to come to AZ and go with you!! That's so cool!!

In StL, there used to be this AWESOME Greek restaurant our office always went to lunch at. So yummy!! The owner knew us by name and was the sweetest guy. We used to just call him "The Greek". But we never had shoe festivities--that sounds like do much fun!!! fun!

--snow

Jenny! said...

I love flaming cheese!

Mama en Fuego said...

Oh my gawd, I think I'm goign to have to go there soon. I love Greek food and that place sounds AWESOME!!!!

Superstar said...

Mama: How about for our B-Day Celebrations?!?!?! End of Septemeberish???
Double dates?

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

I think I'd pay to see the quarter thing.

Superstar said...

IAI: It's FREE!
Next time you fly through here, I will take you for sure!