Something that looks like this was found in one of our Math books. The Math Teacher who, just happened to look over at the "green" group saw a student "flying" back to her seat (HER SEAT). She asks, "what are you doing?" The students says, "oh, homthing." and shrugs her shoulders.
The red group then starts buzzing. They say what had just happened.
I walked through the class in time to see another female student RUNNING to our Vice Principals office..."what is wrong?" I asked. Thinking nothing of it (14 year old hormones and such) I went to the ladies restroom, To monitor the ladies. I then step OUT of the restroom to see the entire 8th grade class with the vice Principal...ALL of them.
Turns out the girl from the green group brought a knife and is threating girl from "red group". Meanwhile 3 other ladies saw the knife in the math book and did nothing about it. THEY were actually encouraging the girl verbally.
2 policeman later and 4 students whose life will change FOREVER!!! 14 and they will now, have a record, they are (of course) kicked out of school, and "branded" forever.
I remember when I used to 1. get spankings from the principal for doing something "wrong". 2. If I talked out of turn, I got tape put over my mouth.(Mr. Fanning used to wrap the tape around your entire head...)3. Suspended and not given the opportunity to make up the work. 4. spanked AGAIN at home and 5. recess taken away if I did not behave. (OK PE in my later years.) You want to know what I get to do for punishment? 1. verbally tell them to "stop" the action. 2. Time out, a stop and think sheet is filled out. This means I stop class direct the child to a smaller room, and they fill it out. when done they return it to me and I again, stop class to assure that they are "prepared" to return. 3. send to the office ONLY after step 1 and 2 is done UNLESS, harm to another student or the safety of all is at bay, then send to the principals office...where IF I am lucky they will be suspended. ~humphhhh~
A KNIFE??? What is to say that next time it won't be a gun?!?!? I CHOSE a Charter (semi-private) school as we do not have 40 kids in each class. We have 22-25. We don't have metal detectors when we report to work. We don't have ID badges, allowing access, like a prision...Simple things I enjoy...Students should be able to enjoy...
Back when I was young and a democrat...(everyone thinks they can save the world in college..don't hate me...) I wanted to BELEIVE that I could make a difference. I must not be a very good teacher if I can not get them to express themselves with WORDS rather than knives or guns....In my more conservitive life, I wonder will I be able to make the "imprint" on these kids that my teacher made on me? Am I able to reach them and touch their lives that they could reach out to me if needed?
Anyone else have a "scary story about when they were in school or as a teacher?


5 Left me pearls of wisdom:
Totally different world these day, eh? When I was a gal, we toted jars of Vaseline in our bookbags in case you were gonna get in a girl fight after school. You put the Vaseline all over your face so when your challenger slapped your face, her hand would slide off. Ah, inner city living ...
I could tell you stories but why? You're living it so you know the drill! Little delinquents.
Meant to ask you, are you full-time teaching in a permanent position or are you subbing?
My jaw just dropped to the ground after reading this. I guess kids aren't so innocent anymore, are they. Be careful, Bambi.
I could spend all day talking about the challenges of school discipline and the mistakes schools/society makes in attempting to address situations such as these but I can tell you for certain that the answer is not to return to the mythical "good ol' days" of corporal punishment.
I can also tell you that contrary to popular belief overall youth violence/crime/drug use is at an all time low and that schools are the safest places for kids to be, much safer than home.
IAI: I am a "perm" teacher...I have yet to be on the schools payroll...Very frustrating...Technaclly I am at sub pay w/ Teacher responsibilites...
Los: OMG I have 14 year olds going on 30...I intercepet a note from a girl to another about a GUY they both liked and the sexual things that they wanted to DO!!!! OMG!!! Seriously. I have seen porno's that were less graphic. Kids are mini adults if WE let them...
Sven: LOL ;o) The bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house??? LOL ;o) OH I would NEVER wantthe responsibility of "spanking" a child that was not mine or my family...OMG..~shivers~
Thats messed up.
When I was in grade school, something like that happened. a really bad kid brought this little pocket knife to school and started threatening people. Except instead of a time out and counseling and all that other crap, we just beat the shit out of him. 10 guys against 1 kid. Once they stopped us, they asked us why, we told them about the knife. The kid was sent home where his father beat the hell out of him. The mother came to the school and had to apologize to us, and nothing was done to us.
Oddly enough, the kid moved away after that and we never saw him again. That's how it should be.
Post a Comment