BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

One more thing on my list-DONE!



I have done it! I know that we all make New Years resolutions, such as lose weight and eat healthy, join a gym and blog only 5 times a week not 7....Not me. I went and made a "resolution"" that I am going to learn to play the guitar this year. So how do you learn to play an instrument with out one? YOU DONT! So I finally bought my guitar. It was like Christmas morning. I had my cash in hand for the last "lay away" payment and I was off to Sam Ash where they promise the best price and repair in the WHOLE Phoenix valley.

There I was, walking into a "climate controled" room where hundreds of acustic guitars were hanging. Now just for back ground, I have played the Piano since 3rd grade and just about every musical intrument I could get my hands on. So as a Pianist, I know how to read notes and can even teach...if I really wanted to. So, being the bubble blonde that I am, I just stepped right up to Patrick and said, "so, what is the difference between your #2, 169.00 guitar and the $150.00 one?" I had a couple "real" musicians in stiches.(Apparently they own 13 each. YEP 13 each, what in the hell does a guy do with 13 guitars???) They thought that it was rather funny that I would ask such a "stupid" question. Without missing a beat Patrick showed me. Yep he pulled one off the "shelf" and played the $2k guitar and then hung it back up and played a $150 guitar. Did I HEAR the difference? OH yes sir I did! That is when I told them that I played piano and while I could talk all day about the difference between a Yamaha and a Stienway...I didn't know Squat about these guitars. (Maybe too honest) The other "real" musicians finished rolling thier eyes when I saw them in the keyboards section thumbing over the choices...HMMM turn about should be fair play, right?? They asked me to play some..I showed off abit...then ROLLED my eyes. "What??? You couldn't HEAR that?" "That is the difference between the real thing and a crappy electronic board". (I felt a bit vindicated from my humiliation of asking the RAW question).

What I opted for was a good "beginner" 6-string that is amp ready and has the cut away feature on it as suggested by my 2nd sales guy Brandon. He showed me some fancy fingering on the strings and if I want to advance..I have to be able to "finger" the strings [anyone else turned on right now??? I can't help it, it just sounds so naughty!!] OK So, I bought the guitar, repair package and the "how to books, DVD and chord progression book. I am off to my house to play with my new toy!!!!! YEAH Happy B-Day to Bambi (on the 30th!!)

I open the box and put the battery in the audio tuner [this is the best feature I have ever seen!] I am OH so familiar with the tuning of drums and pianos..so this was a breeze compared. I tuned it up and began lesson one.

I am now working my way up to lesson 5, which is not at all like I THOUGHT. I am having to learn the notes and where they are vs on a keyboard. So now I am "converting" what I know about the piano to the "frets" on the neck. This is like work! Then I finally tried to do a chord. NOT as easy as it looks. There is a reason these musicians have callases...The strings are sharp! I had no idea how much pressure you need to put on a string so that it will play the right note.

Needless to say, I need to practice every day and I should have started my "New Years" Resolution sooner. Now I only have 3 months to learn to play the guitar!

Gots to go...I am in need of practice.

12 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

I took guitar lessons when I was a kid ... I'm having callous flashbacks now ...

Mama en Fuego said...

I had a guitar, until my mom stored it in the shed outside and it warped.

I also used to play the violin.

Jim McKee said...

Bambi! I am so proud of you! You go, girl!

I just picked up my guitar the other night, for the first time in months. I am considering lessons myself (20+ yrs of self-teaching haven't done much for me).

Superstar said...

IAI: I better understand the line "played till my fingers bled" line...

Dirty: Tisk tisk tisk! The ROD in the neck is the key to keeping it/the string in tune. Isn't funny how the names of these things sound so...sexual?!?!??!

Jim: Thank you! ~bowing~
I want to give it a month of working with the DVD and the book. I just need to get my fingers used to the pressure. On the piano, BANGING on the keys is a BAD thing...LOL ;o) There I go talkin' all sexual and stuff! Banging! LOL ;o)

Los said...

I started playing guitar in January, and I can't get enough of it - you are going to love it!!!!

Mama en Fuego said...

I would much rather learn how to play the drums, or pick the violin up again.

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

Bryan Adams ... doooooooooooood

Mama en Fuego said...

Back in the summer of '69...ooooooh yeah....

All I need is a shower cap and hair brush.

I can play me some mean air guitar.

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed and slightly jealous. that is really terrific!!

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

Are you too busy strumming these days? Where are you? Hunting Bigfoot?

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Super!!
I have always wanted to learn to play the violin. That's on my "things to do before I die" list. :)

WTG!
--snow

Superstar said...

IAI: Was the summer of 89! Not 69! LOL .;o) I just dig sin' that song!
no reason why...That canook just knows how to wright the catchest stuff! There is no hunting...If a guy doesn't chase me...I am not interested. [i am inmy aloof phase]

Dirty: I will be happy to get Anna a drum seet for her B-day! I will be the "favorite" aunt...for about 5 min...Then you will never speak to me again! LOL ;o)
My parents were sooooo happy when I started playing the drums. ;o)
Los: I did not know that about you...Secret musician!

~d: Hey girl! I know I can't beleive It! I get all giddy every time I look at it!

Snow: LOL ;o) Before you die? Jesh girl you got lots of time!