BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Dating...




For those of you who read regularly, I am starting a weekly post about Best/Worst dates that I have had ever. Y'all have to let me know how you like it...
Worst Date Ever Vol.I
Date: College, Freshman Year 1989
Senario: Blind Date
It was the fall of 1989 in college and my guy friend, whom I knew from an ex-boyfriend in HS (clint) wanted to "set" me up on a "blind" date. I was JUST 18 and so excited to be at college. Remember the excitment of being away from your parents for the first time? Oh the rush of being on your own and able to stay out as late as you wanted? The excitment of making your own choices and mistakes?
Let's just say that this date is a history maker... here is how it went...
I opened the door to see him. Standing 6'2'' . About 230 pounds, a bit of a belly and goofy white Don Johnson outfit on. He had Big thick glasses, and Howard Stern Curly/messy (totally uncool) hair. I giggles as I opened the door trying to remember that we are not all what we look like on the outside.
I took a deep breath and introduced myself at the door of my DORM room, and off we went. In my mind I was taking my mental checklist, money, keys, lipstick, phone numbers of gal pals or taxi's. CHECK and Check.
We walk to the parking area which was about 3 block from the Dorm area to his car. He opens the door and lets me in. So far so good. During the walk to his car we talk about class and which required classes we are taking. Once I am safely in the car he asked my the strangest question. "So what religion are you?" UM Religion and politics on a first date? OK...So I respond, "I was raised 7th day adventist, but I am not sure that I am going to keep going to church.". He then says, "well all that religious stuff is crap, as I am an athiest". not an open ended discussion, if you ask me. So, I ask, "that means you don't believe in ANY kind of "god" being right?" He says "Right. ". OH.
Thank GAWD we arrived at the Pizza Hut at that point as I had NOTHING to say. We then go inside and I ask him to order me a salad with French dressing, on the side, and tell him that short of anchovies on my pizza I will eat anything. He couldn't order a simple pizza. Seriously, I don't know how he could tie his shoes....
SO when the waitress came to our table, I had to order the meal. I should have ended it there...
We continue to talk about school and for some reason all he wanted to talk about was religion and how rediculous it was and how STUPID I was for believing that an omnipitant being could be out there. Darwin was the only way to believe..GAWD forbid science could oneday EXPLAIN the Bible.
~shakes head~ Y'all I SHOULD have aske him to take me home at this point. I was 18, so WTF did I know?
Back to the story:
We finish dinner and he suggests the movie I kept re-directing him to instead of Darwinism talk, and we head to the movie theater. He paid for my dinner ok another in the plus column. He also paid for my ticket for the show.
He couldn't stop it with the belittling my family for raising me w/a religious belief he did not agree with and then not even into the first scene of the movie..(Some Eddie Murphy flick) He makes all kinds of "n" word comments and the people around Mr. Wonderbread, were HORRIFIED!!! as was I. I politly excused myself to the restroom at this point, praying that no one KNEW me.
That is right. I DITCHED HIM!
I went to the restroom and NEVER went back.
I called a taxi and went home, vowing NEVER, EVER, EVER again would I go on a "blind date"

13 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

I was going to make fun of the fact that Pizza Hut was the date destination and then I realized in college, many of my "dates" involved meeting up at some stupid frat party and then hooking up in a drunken stupor.
But what can I say? I had class.

Jealous about you ditching the guy, I've always wanted to do that but never got around to it. (OH NO! Wait! I sorta did ... but it was during the relationship when I left the dude stranded in some podunk town while I burned rubber ... tee hee hee ... still makes me giggle!)

PS- Grant Miller will be so proud of this!

Jim McKee said...

He sounds totally obnoxious, and it's good you ditched him; otherwise, you would've had to f**k him up.

It's one thing to disagree with someone's beliefs; but it's 100% DISRESPECTFUL to belittle someone because of their beliefs. Once someone disrespects me, they're out the door. (But, in your defense, when I was 18, I don't know if I would've stood up to someone over an issue like this.)

Anonymous said...

Wow! that sounded awful!
You were sweet to be so polite for as long as you were.
What's his name? I wanna have a talk with this bum! he'll pay for messin with my friend bambi.):

Superstar said...

IAI: I was fresh to the college scene and dating too. I never really got around to it much after "surviving" Private school and then keeping so busy with HS.

LOL ;o) I wish I could have "burned rubber" LOL ;o) I am too practical and at the time I didn't even have a car of my own.

I didn't get my 1st car until I was a sophmore in college! Oh, yeah I had to pay for it myself too!

I sat there at the car lot, saying fall tuition? or car? Fall tuition of car? That is when My Mom chimed in and said, Pay for the car and I will help you with whatever you don't make over the summer.
*sigh* Thanks Mom! I did work 2 jobs that summer...which is how I ended up in the "bar industry"...HMMMMM

OK so it's not too much like Grants right???
I don't want to be a copy cat.

Jim: Hey buddy! There you are. I have missed you!

LOL ;o) 18 I was probably smarter aabout dating then! LOL ;o)

Topcat: AWWWWHHHHH thank you! That is so sweet! *giggles* I can't remember his name. Is that horrible? LOL ;o) I will never in my life forget that Clint was the "friend" that set us up! LOL ;o)
~skips along~
Tops cat is my friend! ~sing song voice~

Mama en Fuego said...

What a douche bag. You should have told him you were a reincarnated black woman who's white slave owner beat her to death because she was praying.

Flash said...

I think once I became a sophomore, I learned that fast food places are not the best "first date" locations.

but man, that was a bad date. The guy sounded like a total tool (but I'd love to hear his side of the story). You just don't talk down to someone, especially on a first date! The terms "Your ideas Suck!' will defiantly guarantee the action of "suck" is not in their future!

Nice job ditching him!

Yoda said...

That is not only a bad date, but a downright RUDE one! I hate people who go out of their way to ridicule religion. I'm not religious myself, but would never 'preach' atheism to anyone.

Mama en Fuego said...

As always Yoda you bring forth a wise observation. Why in today's society is it considered PIC to speak or preach about ones religion but it is considered PC to denounce said religion, even to the point of insulting the intelligence of the believer?

snowelf said...

Super I love reading your blog for this stuff!

I'm sure he eventually drank some red kool aid somewhere and released us from his existence.

--snow

Los said...

Now THAT sounds like a great date. I would've made comments like, "Darwin really didn't have an answer for you, did he?"

Nikki said...

I love it that you ditched him. He deserved it.

Christina said...

You were wise beyone your years to ditch him. I love the idea of the worst dates ever. Girl do I have stories! But at least we know that we are all not alone!

Superstar said...

Dirty: LOL ;o) Oh I am sure he would not even HEARD anything...besides, I was just 18, not even close to the level of sarcasam I have now!

Flash: Oh I have more...Fast food could be a WHOLE topic of dating stories! Tool! LOL ;o) Oh, he was "special"

Yoda: AHHH the ever PC or In pC way of getting ones beliefs as opinon. ;o) LOL ;o) *bows* you are wise beyond your years.

Los: Thank you! I didn't have the level of shnarkyness I have now...Man now, I wouldn't have EVER got into the dang car. I would have met him there!
Ditching him would have happened after the fumble of not being able to order a friggin pizza!!! AHHH wisdom!

Nikki: Thank you!
Christina: So I think y'all said best/worst date is a "must have" weekly read???

DONE!