BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 26, 2007

The Peanutbutter story

Well by popular demand...OK so
  • Dan the Man's Blah blah

  • asked for it so here we go!

    In the fall of 1987 I was asked to participate in an student/church exchange to go to Mexico and help build a church. In return I would get the glory and THE kingdom of heaven and be saved for all eternity.(~ahem~ did you hear my sarcasim and distain for the "organized religion"? OK good!!!) Now, while most kids only need to pack their bags with clothes, on this "exchange program", we got a laundry list of items that we needed to bring with us. Gawd bless the Maranatha projects!

    The list was most extensive: Sleeping bag, pillow, blankets, Peanutbutter, jelly, bread, 5 cans of tomato soup, 5 cans of Vegitarian beans, 5 cans of greenbeans or other veggies, 5 cans of fruit, uncooked rice, bleach, and our clothing. Under clothing was a list of "appropriate" attire. This consisted of: Over-alls, work boots (NO TENNIS SHOES) jeans and T-Shirts, no see through or halter tops (~rolls eyes~ Sure like I am going to wear that!) We were permited to bring Tank tops (due to the "extreem heat") as long as they were not "showing skin" eah did you all get that one? ~scratches head~ Anyway I think they ment for us ladies not to have them 20 sizes too big. ~shrugs shoulders~ Of course after getting there they should have added cots and cooking equipment. Anyway WHOLE other story.

    So my parents get me all the items including the food items and PHEWWWWEEEEE And NOW we are set to earn the KINGDOM of heaven ~shakes both hands while outstreached to the sky~ Except for the Peanut butter, in a jar like in this picture:



    My peanut butter was in a container that most of us get beutter in..you know like the soft spread. So anyone wanna guess where I am going with this?


    So there we are at the airport checking in our luggage, in Seattle. Our itinerary is SEA to DFW (Dallas Fort worth) to Mexico City. Then the next day Mexico city to Oxataca and a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to San Cristobol del la casas. (some day I will be able to talk about the headless chicken bus and the rusted out seat...but right now, we need to finish the PB story) I have everything in one suitcase and an army duffle. (remember we have to bring our own bedding?) Well my Mom packs the "Can goods" in my Army duffle along with the Peanut butter and blankets.

    We then get to Mexico City after a lengthy delay in Dallas, where the plane was TOO FULL so they "bumpped" luggage to Mexico. ~ahem~ Yep you guessed it. My Army dugffle did not make it to Mexico city. We had to spend the night in Mexico City before leaving the next morning to Oxataca. So there I was awaiting our "lost" ~ahem~ I mean delayed bags. So 4 hours later we get a delivery of our "lost" ~ahem~ I mean delayed bags, and WHAT do I find? Peanutbutter all over my sleepingbag, pillow and blankets.


    Has anyone ever got peanut butter on a shirt or tie? You know the OIL that is in peanuts? Some of you might cook with it no a days. So our "guide" quickly took my bag and pillow to a laundry service to be washed for me. I of course was only 16 and bawling my eyes out. I think it was something like the crying that only cats and dogs could hear and something about only having so much money....ANYWAY. That night in the true christian fashion I was lent blankets and a pillow until mine was returned. Meanwhile my Director and I were in this "shower" (I say it like that because it reminded me of something and inmate in JAIL would use...but ok we will use this "term" lightly.) Rinsing out the inside of the duffel of all the peanut butter. So raise your hand if you think that worked?!


    ~waits while I count the votes~


    Well if you didn't raise your hand you are a winner (prizes not included, subject to DB approval)

    That is right folks. EVERYTHING and I mean everything smelled like peanutbutter for the REST of the trip. My pillow, my sleeping bag, my hair, EVERYTHING. ~shivers~

    For almost a month I slept in that bag, and on that pillow. I remember THROWING IT AWAY on our last day of the trip. ~deep sigh~

    Then to add to the SMELL ~shivers~ I had to eat PB&J sandwiches for lunch for the entire time we were there. Finally, I just gave up and drank soda and ate fruit. I managed to loose 20 pounds...not that I reccommend it as a "diet" or anything.

    When I finally returned to the USA and back to my home city of Washington, my parents hardly recognized me. Then asking me what I wanted for my "welcome home" dinner, all I could say is: "I don't care what we eat as long as I NEVER EVER have to eat peanutbutter again." My dad then looks at me and says, "So I guess peanutbutter chocolate creme pie is out?"
    LOL ;o) My dad. ~rolls eyes~ YEP! I then turned to him and started quoting my favorite Dr Suses book"Green eggs and ham" ..." I will not eat it in a boat, with a goat, I will not eat it in a box or with a fox..." Needless to say, Dad got it. Then he picked up the army duffle and discovered WHY I felt so strongly about it.
    Lets just say, that for Christmas that year I bought dad a replacement duffle. ;o)
    So Dan that is the Peanut butter story. Hope you all enjoyed it. ;o)

    9 Left me pearls of wisdom:

    Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

    That's peanut buttery delicious!!

    I can only relate to that with fruit punch. I got so trashed on vodka fruit punch in college I puked out a cab window for 12 miles. To this day, I can't even walk by fruit punch in a grocery store without gagging.

    But your story is much worse ... in Mexico stinking like nuts ... uh, that didn't sound right, that might have been a better trip if the nuts weren't of the peanut variety ... I'll stop now.

    Dallas DYSfunction said...

    I like to put peanut butter between my buttcheeks and then call over the dogs....It's a win win for everyone.

    Los said...

    So, have you ever been able to eat peanut butter again?

    That was one helluva story (no pun intended). Did it somehow make you feel closer to God?

    Superstar said...

    IAI: ~rolls eyes~ NO SUGAR fruit drinks either...Reminds me of a bad spody in college...Not so much ME getting drunk and puking as the others around me...I am not ~holds nose~ a good sypathy puker!

    Dallas: Sick! That is just sick!
    Poor dog!
    Funny but sick!

    Los: I have eaten PB... but in VERY small doses, only in the last few years. I only use it in baking the "no-bake cookes" which BTW is an oximoron..I have to "cook" them...Bake, cook...~rolls eyes~ you get the idea!
    No, I seriously never use it. The very smell of it brings back the whole thing like it was yesterday.

    Closer to GOD??? BAAWWAAAHHHHAAAA oh honey! Seriously. I spent the entire time translating Spanish to English and vice versa. The only thing I felt was EXHAUSTED when I got back...Gawd, I vaguly remember the whole fact we built a church! LOL ;o)

    Just telling it like it is said...

    Wow...that kinda sucks...still not eating peanutbutter hu!

    Anonymous said...

    good thing it was peanut butter and not vegemite.

    Dan said...

    You poor thing! Had I been there I would have slathered you with jelly, placed you between two huge slices of bread and eaten you! :)

    But seriously, I can understand why you'd be turned off by it for the rest of your life. I have several friends, for instance, who have worked in movie theaters and can never eat popcorn again because the smell of the buttered popcorn and turns them off.

    Superstar said...

    Omni: HEy buddy! You got out??? You still WUV me??? I would have killed for a can of the "veggie" meat to explode ~shivers~ Did I mention that my only other option for protein was dairy? OH yeah! Just made me wanna do another trip RIGHT AWAY!!! ~ahem~ NOT!

    Dan: REALLY?!??! You hussy!
    Seriously, get me some whip cream and choco syrup and we have a deal!
    Then again...maybe not...he hehe he

    Just: I know it totally sucks eggs!

    Guy: OMG I don't know what would have been worse the pepsi or the field washing! LOL ;o) Sounds like "camping"...~shivers~
    I still have nightmares about Teranchillas. !~shivers~ and the roaches...SWEAR to GAWD they needed the landing strip at a commercial airport! Wing span and all! ~shivers~
    ~note to self grab a can of raid at store~

    jali said...

    Poor thing - my teenage volunteerism was spent as a candy striper at a local hospital.

    I quit peanut butter after a smashed school trip sandwich.