Back in August, I was applying for HR openings. "back in the day" when I considered myself and HR career chick. I looked for any and all contract or long term positions, sent my resume out to about 100 different employers (OK I didn't whore myself that much, but you get the idea).
I got the "thank you but no thank you letters. I got the interviews and second interviews, only to be followed with the "we found a more qualified canididate, but YOU WERE AWESOME letters. I even got the "personal" phone calls apologizing for being "such a highly qualified candidate" but "gosh we found someone "more qualified" or a "better fit" into our corporate culture....*sigh*
Since I had such a ridiculous response I turned to my fellow bloggers for advice as to "what should I be when I grow up" post. I ended up making a career change. (Special thanks to all that participated. IAI won with the most creative idea (if y'all remember back to that...Everyone's idea's were very helpful!)
Last week I got an e-mail from a resume I sent out in August. My "dream" HR job. The Company (who shall remain namelss) contacted me via e-mail, inquiring if I was still available to interview for the HR opening. I called the hiring manager and interviwer, to find out more information. *sigh* After talking to her for 20 min about the job, the responsibilities, vacation, sick leave, and being available to travel 35% of the week, I opted for an interview. I scheduled a time to meet on my day off. (I had Vets day off) Then I started thinking about all I have in my new found teaching job.
After a couple of nights, really weighing in my options, stress, travel and THE MONEY. I called and cancelled the interview.
Yesterday I am grading papers and hanging out at my sisters house. The phone rings. The following is the convo:
Nameless Company (NC): "hi" this is "nameless company rep" and I was wanting to confirm you for Noon Today.
Me: OH, I called your cell phone and left you a voice mail that I am no longer interested in the wonderful opportunity you have.
NC: OH? WHY? I mean you would be perfect!
Me: I am really sorry, I put some time and thought and I really want to pursue teaching. Thank you again.
NC: NO. I want to know what can I do to be able to consider you for our team?
Me: Really I appreciate the opportunity, but I do not beleive that for the time and money, I am the right fit for your company.
NC: OK, Please call me if you change your mind. BTW you wouldn't happen to know anyone who would be good at this? [[WTF??? YOU NOW want me to DO YOUR JOB????]]]
OK, right there I was thinking, "did I really make the right move? After all I just took a $15K year paycut to be a teacher. DO I REALLY love it that much? Is this REALLY going to be the right choice? Then I snapped out of it. Why would I want to work for a company that took 4 months to get back to an applicant, begged for an interview, when the applicant turned it down, beg some more, and then be asked for a referral???
UNBELEIVABLE.
I am fully confident, even more so after writing this, that I made the right choice.
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
You would think!
Single Suburbian blah blah blah from Superstar at 12:19 PM

9 Left me pearls of wisdom:
Friggin' always happens, doesn't it. Nada when you need it then downpour when ya don't.
But you made the right choice - yay!
If your heart's not in it, you shouldn't do it ... besides, with your sense of humor, you'd be a much better teacher (in my humble opinion).
Teaching, you get to enrich lives. HR is just problem after problem.
If you followed your heart, you made the right decision.
good luck.
Sounds like a desperate company to me, and in my dealings in the corporate world I have found there is usually a valid reason that a company would sound that desperate. And that reason usually isn't good for employees.
IAI: I know! Good to know I got out before I was at the bottom of my "game" eh?
Los: My heart is happier than I have been in a long time with regards to my career.
Flash: Yeah following my heart has not ALWAYS gotton me into the best situations! LOL ;o) *wink*
Smokin: I have to come clean...It was the HARDEST thing for me to NOT go to the interview. I mean..I have to tell you..I really struggled with it. The job paid $15-20K more a year than teaching...so YEAH! ~shruggs Shoulders~ I am so much happier. I will just have to focus on winning the lotto...LOL ;o)
I am so jealous of you. I wish I could teach, but it would involve either (A) going to night school for probably 2-3 years to get a teaching certificate, or (B) quitting work altogether to go to school full-time.
(B) is just not possible (how would I pay my bills?). (A) doesn't look too pleasant, I would be pushing 50 by the time I was done. My buddy who is a teacher says you have to have time to build up your pension before you retire.
In my best Kung Fu type Asian accent
"Grasshopper, You have chosen ....... wisely"
Jim: Need not fear, if you have a BA or BS you can be "highly qualified" teacher in the college corses. I just wen down to the Dept of Ed for the state and picked up a copy of the classes I need to "finish" and get my certificate. I also have a "license for subing" which allows you to teach until the certificate is aquired. Also look for schools that are private or "charter" they often have less "strict" certification requirements, so that you can work while you are finishing school...
Rainman: AH THANK-syou very mucha
Jim: Of course it might help iof I proof my writings before I hit "publish" LOL ;o)
~shakes head at self~ "when...WHEN and course! Oye vey...
Post a Comment