BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 06, 2006

Here is what happened..part II

After typing my "what happened" segment I promptly went to the store to get all the items on my ever growing shopping list. I strolled along the aisles thinking about the "road less traveled" and my life and all the many bumps, bruises and U-turns I have taken.

I strolled with my cart on the outside of the store. (back in the diet saddle) It was in the middle of my list, strolling, cheese, eggs, milk, chicken, fish...~son of a Bi*ch~ "that is it!" [I think I might have sent the 95 year old lady in front of me to the hospital with a small heart attack...ooppsss...]]

I think I know why I feel so out of sorts! I am ready to now mull this small discovered fact over and begin to figure out "WHAT" I need to do to solve the "problem" (That is what I do solve problems.) OK I know what happened. I am the last of all the "friends" to be single. That is right people. All of my close and "best" friends are all married and have kids. NO wonder I am feeling so "5th wheel" with these people. I am single, no kids, no one to be accountable for other than my happy azz...while my most cherrished gal pals are now married and have 1 or more children.

I don't feel as if I dentify with these ladies anymore, other than if they need a nanny to WATCH the kids. I can raise them well. So sad to say it, while I try to keep the friendships alive with "girl" dates and even don't mind when they bring the little ones along so we "girls" can gossip while, the kids are entertained by the over stufed cartoon characters of ChuckEE Cheese or Peter Piper Pizza.

We don't even talk about the same things. Once discussed, "hottie" of the night at "ladies night in the lounge" is now replaced with talk of the cost of Pampers and wipes. "Oh I don't like those wipes, they are so hard on "#1 skin" where I would have normally blurted outsomething so crazy as "hey I hooked up w/ HOT guy last night and...PHHHHEEEEWWWWWWEEEE, I still havent slept!". It is no wonder that with all the normal and age appropriate changes in the life cycle that these conversations would be a "sewing your wild oats" of the past. Mine are not. I am still "sewing my wild oats" and damn proud of it. The "common" ground is not there anymore. The once complaints of money and food and dating has been replaced with discussions of the mortgage and the new car and crib. *sigh*

I think the reason I have been feeling as though I can't fit in, is that simply I don't. It's like when you go from being a couple to single. I can list 3 different couples that I used to spend time with when Jerry and I were together. Since we broke up, while when I see these people out and about and say "hi" that is it. I haven't "hung" out with them since the "break-up. WHY? I am single and they are a couple. Great. So you see, while I am loving the life I am living, I know that my reason for feeling so lost is really that I no longer have as much in common with my once "best friends". While the imprtance of life choices has made us better and we will still be there for one another...They are no longer the gals that drink cocktails till 3 am and go to after hour parties. They now have traded in those martini glasses for milk bottles, dipars, and wipes.

I am not blaming anyone either. Friends drift apart and some are more assertive about wanting to get together and "doing" things. Others are "proximity" friends. You are in proximity of one another and *poof* you "look" out for one another.

So it is time to focus on meeting new friends, not because I want to replace my old friends, just add to them. Anyone have any good ideas to meet new peeps?

12 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Jim McKee said...

I have no ideas, but when you receive some ideas, please share them... I have been in a real funk, my son has "unofficially" moved out, so for the first time in 24 years, I am living alone, and 100% hating it.

Had a female friend over last Wednesday night, just to eat pizza and watch Lost, and that was really cool. So, if anyone is reading this and lives in the Detroit area, and wants a pal to hang out with, let me know.

Jen said...

It is so tough to meet new people. My newest friend came from another friend! We probably wouldn't have met, had Leslie not INSISTED on meeting me, now me and Leslie are buds! I am like you, either they are married, or way younger then me and still in the college phase. I do have a b/f, long distance, but I still try to keep a good group of friends. Currently my two closest friends are set to leave soon, Brad is moving away to finish college and Leslie is going to be a travelling nurse. So I feel ya!

Superstar said...

jen: Welcome! LOL ;o) It's like we have some kind of social rash that no one wants to catch! LOL ;o)

Jim: I don't know if this will help in the DETroit area, I do belong to www.meetin.org it has been nice to see that there are others out there. The problem I had with some of those events, is 1. money. I am single and most of the activities I WANT to do (i.e. wine tasting, was too pricey for my beer budget) and 2. I noticed so many "couples" attending the PHX singles that I felt the same as if I were with my "married" friends. LOL ;o) So I stopped going. Maybe I will start up again, now that I am back to working 3 jobs. Jesh, like I have time to socialize!

Companionship...That is what is the hardest thing about being single. You don't have it and all you do is crave it.

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon your blog. Funny, I wonder what the hell happened to me too. I'm 35 and have SIX kids. Here's my advice. Find out when your friend's kids go to sleep. Then go over there with a bottle of red wine. Wine has a great way of removing boring diaper talk. And while you're still single, travel the world. Take it from a woman on the other side. :)

Art_Fulldodger said...

Relax Superstar. There are quite a few of us married with kids types that are saying the exact opposite things. Like WTF was I thinking getting married so soon? And how many people do you know that have been married and divorced numerous times? My Brother is on wife #4 and my Whore, Wallet sniffing Sister in law is on like #5 and counting.

When Mr. right comes along you will know it.

Flash said...

I know how you feel. I'm right there in the smack middle of it. Half of my friends are married now, and the other half either dating or just too damn lazy now of days to go out and have a "guys night out"

I think we all go through it. There are many times I can't grasp the fact that my buddy wants to stay home with his wife and be together rather then going out to catch a hockey game.

If you do decide to go out and meet new people "like you" just remember, at anytime, this cycle can repeat itself and start all over again.

Jen said...

LOL about the rash, do they not want to catch it or just don't want to scratch it for us? LOL That is just gross! LOL LOL

S Dot said...

*Hi* I came across your blog and was like, yeeaaaah I bet this will be a good one! And then noticed my head nodding back & forth as I was reading. It's always good to meet cool new peeps so, let me know if you wanna hang out!

Superstar said...

Rainman: The grass isn't greener on the other side...In your case I think your wife has a bunch of mud! But, my point was that I miss all my "friends" because now they are married and asking me "WHAT WAS I thinking???" LOL ;o)

Flash: LOL ;o) YOu always know just what to say!

Jen: Look out sister...we are contagious...LOL ;o) Rash...Scratch! ROFLMAO!!! I think the saying is...for one nighters'..I have an itch so lets scratch???
S Dot: WELCOME!!! WOOO HOOOO I am not alone! YEAHHHH! ~wipes sweat off brow~ Phew that was close!

Lex said...

I know how you feel. I feel out of sorts with my friends who are newer parents. I'm 33 with a recently failed marriage. The couples friends aren't really the same anymore.

We used to talk about when I'd get pregnant and be like them. I'm so glad I didn't get pregnant with him, but I have found something interesting. My cooler friends come back to "normal" when the kids get a little older. The friends I have with kids over 8 are pretty much as fun to hang out with as friends without kids.

There's something I absolutely LOVE about having no entanglements. But then...

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

I'm antisocial, so I don't have this problem :-)

Actually, I cannot stand the other parents out there who do nothing but talk about the kid(s) ... it gets so old. So let me know where the cool peeps are at, so I can find some, too!

Monica Foster said...

I feel you on that post, today is my sister's son's birthday and my plan is just to show up, drop off a gift and run. Why? Because since I'm over 25 (I'm 28 almost 29) and single and childless, I'm seen as there being something "wrong" with me.
I'm fine with my life, and myself but I want to know how I can go about meeting other women out there who share my lifestyle as well.
People are just breeding like bunnies all around me and to honest with you, I think a part of the reason it's happening is because most people are simply followers and wanna "fit in" to the "family type" mold.