BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Things I DONT miss...and some I do...

I have never in my life had to "clean the gutters" out. I have had to "winterize" a cabin, a car and carry water 2 blocks just to have water in our cabin. (I used to have to plug in my car...people that live in below freezing weather know what I am talkin' about)...

No longer do I have to:
1. Clean the gutters.
2. Insulate house. (wrap up the water heater)
3. Chop wood or go wood cutting for a wood burning stove. My Father would spend from Late August to first of Novemeber aquiring 6-8 cords of firewood to help heat our home in the Winter. My earliest memories include my Mom, Dad, me on the bench seat (no seat belts, and my sister in a car seat on the floor of a FORD driving up to the woods...How I made it to 35 I will never know! For the record she sat in that spot until she was about 6 or 7 when Grandma and Grandpa would join us in a 2nd "scout" truck.
4. Sweep the Chimney... I think this tip would require I have one.
5. Put up storm windows...LOL ;o) I think was in our day that we would put up plastic over the windows and drapes were not allowed open at night. I have not had storm windows EVER!
6. Check the furnace. Now beleive it or not...It actually does get cold enough that OCCATIONALLY I turn my furnace on...but seriously...I don't need it.
7. Block the leaks...Weather strippin' is so a good use of money!

AHHHH fall is in the air and I can go back to wearing a hoodie or a sweater in the AM and at night. The days are so fantastic here that I honestly forget about needing heavy sweaters and mittens, I have not owned an ice scrapper in 10 years!!! That is right folks...I don't have to shovel the sunshine of 300 days of sun.

So what are some of your favorite or not so happy memories of fall!
Jumpping into leaves?
Building forts and making mud cakes?
When you nose is cold and you take a first sip of apple cider?

5 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Yoda said...

The best thing I like about fall?

The variety in the clothing! In a single month, I could be wearing t-shirt and shorts to jackets. So, pretty much my entire wardrobe gets to see the outside world :-)

The worst thing is that you know that 5pm sundowns are just around the corner :-(

b o o said...

i only have memories of eating leaves.

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

We're actually having a fall here in Calcutta, USA. Well, it's fall in the morning and then 75-80 degrees in the afternoon. It'll last a month.

Here goes (nice topic, Super!):

I do NOT miss shoveling snow.
I do NOT miss putting plastic bags INSIDE my snow boots.
I do NOT miss scraping my car windshield.
I do NOT miss holding my car key under a match to heat it up enough to open the car door (remote entry? not until the 90s, baby.)
I do NOT miss the cold noses, cold toes, cold ears.

I DO miss waiting by the radio and hoping for a snow day - no school!

I DO miss snow days.

I DO miss coming inside a warm house and having hot chocolate, sometimes stirred with a candy cane.

Los said...

I loved jumping into big piles of leaves, and I love the smell of leaves being burned (a little bit, I guess). I also like the fact that mowing the lawn can wait until late spring ... BUT I don't like raking leaves ... ugh!

Superstar said...

Boo: YOu ate leaves? LOL ;o) What a visionary...It makes me wonder who thought of eating leafy items like spinach or leaf lettuce...hmmm maybe you are on to something!

Yoda: SHORTS in the winter??? OMG when it was 30 below I wore nylons under my pants to help keep me warm...I do not miss 3 layers of clothing!

IAI: ~takes a bow~
I used to love the hay rides in the country for apple/October fest, making scarecrows and drinking hot apple cider after. I remember there always being someone that JUST happened to bring a guitar to sing camp fire songs....AHHHH

Los: Pyro! LOL ;o) A kindred spirit..jumping into piles of leaves!

Did you ever make "houses" out of the leaves?