OK I am sorry for not posting sooner. I have been knee deep in student issues. What could possably take me away from my free time (~rolls eyes~ yeah right). WEEEEEELLLLLL let me give you the "low down".
Last Wednesday before the Turkey day holiday, my desk and purse was "violated" and while I had a really good idea of WHOM did it or should I say which class, did the deed, I had to wait until tomorrow to deal with it.
So, my good cop, co-worker, New Fish started the job. He started poking and nosing with the guilt and the ideal questions to "crack" their NUTS! LOL ;o) MEWWWHHHAAAA.
Today, the one student couldn't even look me in the eye. She was guilty as SIN and feeling the pain. Finally, in 5th hour, I broke the tention. I confronted her. Here is how the story went down.
Me: So Bonnie (aka clyde) why did you take the money out of my desk? If you really needed money, I would have been happy to help you?!?!?! Why?
B: I didn't.
Me: Yeah? That is why I have 3 other kiddos that told me you did.
B: I just got out one dollar.
Me: OH, so you are now saying you DID get into my desk and "borrowed" the money?
B: NO
Me: You just did. So who else helped you?
B: No one. I swear, I just got the two dollars and...
Me: OH, so now, you got out two? Really? What did you spend that on?
B: I gave it to...Wait they were all in your purse and going through your stuff.
Me: Wait right here.
~walk to classroom and kick out class to common room~
Me: OK so what you are telling me is that you have classmates that have helped you? WHAT?
B: Well, I just got out the two dollars and gave it to BoyWonder.
Me: OK, so here is what you are going to do. According to the student handbook, I have to ask the principal to expel you and call the cops for a report.
B: *sniff* *sniff* Crying, water works all over.
Me: I will be in my room waiting.
~I resume class at the end, she had given me the letter naming two others.~
Me: Hey, Boy Wonder and Jessy, I need you to stay here please.
Boys: Ok.
~I get New Fish after we put our kiddos on a independant study assignment~
NF: Ok, guys, why are we here? What do you three have in common?
Kids: ~shrugs shoulders~ all looking at one another.
Boy Wonder: Yo, like we arae all Mexican?
NF: Yeah, and what else?
Kids: ~shuffle feet, keep looking at one another~
Me: Seriously? This is what you have to say?
Bonnie: I am so not going down for this. I am not going to Juvey. I aint not taking it all. (*shivers the English teacher*)
NF: Ok tell you all what. The handbook says we need to call this in to the police. ~pulls out cell~ So, lets call officer Googlehime and you can tell him that you didn't do anything.
*******what broke out over the next five min was nothing short of a verbal boxing match that New Fish and I sat back and got out our figurative popcorn and soda and watched the show unfold. the F bomb dropped several hundred times as a noun, verb, adj, adverb and one tried to use it as a conjunction...that was fun. I digress*****
Kids: This is what happened Ms. there was the four of us. I was the look out Jessy says. Bonnie was the one getting the money our.
Bonnie: Oh no! I am so not keeping quiet about the Jackazztagger.
Jessy: Yo, see, they were getting into your purse and Bonnie got into the money in the desk.
****Emotions high New Fish says we have to check on the classes. We let them stew and wait****
***New Fish got jackazztagger and then all four went to the principals office.****
Shortly after the principal got to the bottom of the caper on tape, we had to call the parents. Bonnies father was first on the scene. Get this. He wanted to spank her in front of the three boys. Nothing makes you feel twelve as fast as a father getting his belt off and swacking his daughter in front of boys. The boys had to watch. two tried to turn away. NO. We pushed them around to watch.
Me: No Wonder boy and jackazztager LOOK what you did.
So, bloggers, still want to be a teacher? I am so craving my last year staff and ability to TEACH rather than spend 2 hours of my day with this B.S.
On to part II of my rant today. With all I have shared about the teaching profession, I am now subject to higher standards. I was watching the news last night and apparently, other teachers are posting "less that "appropriate" material" on the site. (~DUH?!?!?!?) One 3rd grade teacher is flipping the camera off. Another male teacher had a song that contained the "c" word. I am more thankful that I am operating under an alter ego and stage name...*sigh*
I can't help but be SO very happy right now. However, I am a wee bit annoyed at the violation of my civil rights. Teachers, according to this news report are held to a higher "code". WTF??!?!?!
this link will take you to the news story about other area teachers and the not so ok things that they have posted.
*ahem*
NOT that my PG-13 rated blog is any better, BUT, I am rather hard to find.
*ahem*
NOT that my PG-13 rated blog is any better, BUT, I am rather hard to find.
So, what are your thoughts bloggers? Should teachers be held to higher standard of behavior? should we be expected to not have an outlet? FYI the attack isn't only on Myspace, but Facebook as well. ~rolls eyes~
Two strong issues today. Corporal punishment? plus should teachers be held to a higher standard. ~looks around~ Well , that is it for me today.


12 Left me pearls of wisdom:
Well..Hellya they should be put to higher standards....they're "TEACHERS"...
Sincerely,
J Christ
Stevo: Jesus? Is that you? Hey, can you trim the rose bushes today while you are doing the lawn??? LOL ;o)
Mama: See, I agree that the teacher w/ the C word and it being PUBLIC is bad. I am not a fan. However on a broader "rule" if you will, do you think then Dr. and Nurses who smoke should loose their job? It's unhealthy...they should know better. Better yet, I think ALL of us forget that it is possible to be seen on line. Hense my stage name and mostly anonimity info.
I just think this whole issue is, would I want my Mother to see this and if so would I be ashamed approach. We are adults. We are over 18 and 21. Do I agree that I should censor my thoughts and feelings? Well, sometimes. Do I think the State dept of Ed or my employer should...NO.
I dunno. I think this is too slippery a slop to take on as one crusader of 4th and 1st amendment rights.
If you behave in a civilized moral manner on your blog, you should have nothing to worry about. Higher standards -yes, because you teach our children. Lose your job? Only if you are dumb enough not to realize these kids can find you online no matter how anonymous you think you are.
You display no objectionable or embarrassing content so I personally don't think any of this applies to you.
When teachers start getting paid what they are worth, and I believe most of them should be paid well, then they can hold you to a higher standard.
Dump this stupid no child left behind bull-bush-crap! and other bad stuff.
Stop over-regulating teachers so they aren't filling out documents when they could be teaching.
LET TEACHERS TEACH!!!
tc
Teachers should be held to no higher standards than the parents of the kids they teach. Seems to me parents try to force the schools, and by association the teachers, to be the influence on kids that they (the parents) should be themselves! But no, mommy and daddy are too busy angling for that next new car, bigger house, or Prada handbag than being parents.
I can see both sides of the issue. I think you could/should hold everyone up to a higher standard. Aren't we all influencing children and society in one way shape or form?
I am too tired to think anymore. Sorry I gotta go.
One one hand I say yeah, Teachers need to be professional and conduct themselves at a level befitting the job they are doing while at work. Higher standards, no, just be professional and do your job and that should be plenty.
BUT along that same line of thinking I also believe that most but not all are way under paid for what they do.
The few that shouldn't be teachers shouldn't be any where near kids or school or people for that matter. That minority has tenure so they hang around for 40 years fucking up kids heads year after year.
Superstar - you should be some sort of crime-fighter, or something! I smell a tv show - it could be school teacher crime-fighters ... lord knows there's lots of material!
Payscale is not an excuse for bad behavior. Teachers know the payscale before they sign up. I'm not saying the payscale is justified, only that it shouldn't be a factor in deciding what is and is not decent behavior.
If that's the case then does that mean anyone who is at the poverty level should be exempt from societal standards of morality and ethics because they can't afford them?! No, sorry that's bull.
I'm not implying that teachers should lose their jobs for being individuals but if you go into a public service profession you are under increased scrutiny by default. If a person doesn't know this when they sign up for the job then they have no business being in the position in the first place, because they aren't there for the right reasons.
Teachers have PROFOUND influence on their students. To say that they shouldn't be held to a higher standard because it's unconstitutional or unfair because of their pay is sloppy logic in my opinion.
And BTW yes, I think it's appauling to see Doctors and Nurses smoking on hospital grounds and I do think they should not be able to do so. then again they probably shouldn't be serving the fat laced, prepackaged, processed shit they lay down in hospital cafeterias either. But that's another subject.
I agree with the logic of the pay not equal to "higher standards". For the record, I think teachers get paid as well as we could. I will not deny that I feel sometimes, it's not enough. HOWEVER, I KNEW exactly that the time off made up for the pay. That is MY choice. NOW!
On another tangent: don't we excuse behavior for the "needy"? We (American's) provide them welfare and food stamps. How is America rewarded? Gangbangers and the black market for food stamps. I am not saying that all poor/welfare receipients become a product of their enviornment...but, if they had to get off their butts and WORK for a living with no government tit, would welfare be in the "crisis" we have today?
I will compose this for a post on Monday. I think this subject is going deep into a rabbit hole!
Good idea's Mama!
Okay, asked the professional in the house...husband is a teacher.
1. kid being swatted with belt on school grounds by parent.
required by LAW to report the incident to police/rcmp.
after asking his admin (principal) they are also required to stop the parent from doing it.
*hopefully without getting hurt themselves.
2. teachers turning the other kids around to watch this last situation...
Teacher would be fired on the spot according to article X subsection 4.whatever of the teachers code of conduct in X, Y , Z and a few other Provinces.
Yeah, he didn't even get in to the whole code of conduct thing. Very much held to a whole other level.
Totally different up here I guess!
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Not a slam against what you've written, just what would have gone down had it been North of your boarder.
Do note that he LOVED your comics! The elf one was a particular favourite. =)
Post a Comment