I have been deliberatly putting off the topic of New Fish. Why? Well, I have been in my own mind trying to figure out what it is that I WANT. That's right people. What I want. To be honest, the whole "relationship" took me by complete shock and surprise. I had no idea if this whole adventure would be auspicous this or not.
There have been many false starts and date nights that have been canceled or rescheduled. There has been many consessions on my part in terms of what I consider reasonable accomodations.
There is no easy "this is the end" or the begining, middle or what have you. It comes down to New Fish either wants to jump into the deep end of the pool with me or he is such damaged goods that I am not the one, to undo all the damages. Clearly, we are all at the age that most Americans are, divorced, single or otherwise had the relationships that create our "programing". The events that shape how our next encounters will be. Thus, because of events that were in fact our doing or due to others we react or do not react in a way that the partner is left scratchin their head.
This leads us to the brief conversation I had with NF about dating, This of course lead to the ever pressing "do you want to be exclusive"question. Let me just say, that waht followed was in any other words, a disaster. DISASTER!
DISASTER!
Here is my recollection.
Me: So do you want to be exclusive?
NF: WHAT?!?!? ~shakes head is visably dishoveled~
Me: Well, your comment lead me to ask the all ever popular question of, do you want to be exclusive?
NARRATOR: A simple Yes or no would have been all he had HAD to say. I would have been A-Ok with either straight forward responce...What I got was this:
NF: That is a very sticky question. That is a mess. I don't believe in ownership and I will not put limits on me or anyone else. You are a grown woman and can do what you want, with whom. I just won't be "owned". I lived that life once, married, planning for the future, a future that will never happen. I won't do it again.
Me: ~shakes head~ Where on earth does exclusivity = ownership?!?!?!
NF: I just ~visablly more upset~
Me: OK what is this???~two fingers moving up and down at NF~
NF: I am just...I can't believe...
*sigh* I only have so many hours a week that I can spend doing what I want. Weather that is with you, my sister, Mom, or just ME is really really limitied. I just *shivers*
~getting even more into a corner LITERALLY!~
Me: Look at you. Your chair and body are moving into that corner by your desk like a caged animal! I have been more than relaxed about all that. I know your time is limited. So is mine. We all MAKE time for what we want to do. All I am asking, is a question that OUT of RESPECT I would share with you should I CHOOSE to BE physical with someone else. I am just asking for the same respect. NOT lets get married....Jesh!
NF: I just don't even know how...*sigh* ~ Looking up choosing his words carefully~ You know I would have rather you said you were pregnate than this topic.....
ME: WHAT?!?!?! WTF?!?! ~rolls eyes~
So bloggers that was the last "relationship/bootah" discussion that I had w/ New Fish. That was almost 2 weeks ago. He doesn't go out of his way to call me. He does however go out of his way at school to show me attention and such. I figure I am nothing more than a *shiska* and really I want more. ALL women want MORE. It's in our DNA. I am satisfied, but ~shrugs shoulders~ it's a DNA thing. I fight urges all the time. After all with out our ability to recognize our weaknesses, we would be mere animals.
What I am coming to terms with is 1. I have to maintain a working relationship with NF. Irregardless of an "adult" relationship with him or not. I need to maintain that professionalism. 2. What is it that I want from being with him? Lets face it, we are all in relationships with others for one reason or another. Friendship is give and take. Mama en Fuego honked my horn and well...that was all it took for me to know we would SOOOO be buddies! Sometimes we all forget that. A true friend is sitting in that jail cell with you, not the one you call to bail you out. *giggles* SO, what do I want?
That is my long winded "New Fish" dealio. I am contemplating, what I want from us being together. Perhaps it will only ever be a physical relationship. Perhaps it could be more if and when...I am not going to spend a whole bunch of time spinning my wheels over HIS issues. I am going to figure out what I can gain from this and move forward. I am just not sure what if anything, I will gain. Perhaps I have already "lost" what I was supposed to gain?


14 Left me pearls of wisdom:
i agree with IAI. there is no reason that you have to shortchange yourself. You asked an honest question and he reacted like a freaked out teenager.
If you are ok with things then let it be but if not, then he is not the one who should suck you into the web
(((hugs)))
tc
Uh you already got my explenitive laced opinion on this one...
BTW, this weekend, no good, weekend after, splendid.
I came back to read this again ... wow, he really acted like a 15-year-old fucktard.
Just sayin' ...
Why are you sweating him like that? Jeez!
You know, you can always get pregnant on the DL.
IAI: LOL...I heard the words coming out of his mouth and digested slowly...
Exactly
Christina: I refuse to sell myself short. I am just not so sure anymore what it is that I REALLY really want. I think it's the fairytale...then again, I woke up alone...AGAIN
Top Cat: Thank you!
Mama: You know you will ALWAYS be there to honk my horn! LOL ;o)
IAI: LOL Fucktard!!!!!
LBB: Just because I work in the ghetto doesn't mean that I want to become a ghetto single mama living check to check ~snaps fingers~
Damn you!
LOL ;o)
This is really painful for me to read...Your such a fabulous person..Why why is it that men put women thought this kind of radom acts of torcher...
Here is what I have to say to that...
Irreverent is right!!! Men unfortunately for the most part know what they want... Listen to what he is telling you..
You deserve better...if someone is really into you then you'll know it...if not then they will continue to play games that only satisfy their needs...
I am with the others on this subject if you are okay with it then I am okaY...but if not get out now or else it will just get more complicated and why should you not get what you want...
Relationships are not about ownership they are about loyalty, love, faith, truth...
Don't you dare feel as if you are asking to much...
off my soap box...
De-bone the fish... Get a great fish gutting knife and have at him.
Just my little suggestion... IAI isn't up to her usual violent self, so I figured I'd step in until she is back up to her usual iron levels...
Wow, this guy seemed to have really gotten slammed the first time around - sounds like his ex-wife's boot was never able to be removed by the doctor. I agree - a yes or no answer was all that was needed, not this overdramatic act that he gave you. Is he an art teacher, by the way?
Oh...Super...
You know, even though he freaked out unnecessarily... he was honest. Where he got that "ownership" thing is beyond me, but if that's how he feels about being exclusive, maybe that's the best way he could put it. So he gets points for being honest even if he came out sounding ridiculous about it.
To me, it does seem like he really does like you, he enjoys being around you, and he values you as a friend and a person--it's just the thought of having a girlfriend scares the bejesus out of him and that has NOTHING to do with you. Like you said, it's his issue NOT YOURS. And like IAI said, he ain't changing his scales...
And I know what you mean about trying to sort things out and figure out what YOU want from him.
Here are some thoughts on this of mine which may or may not parallel yours...
If you want him in your life and you value his friendship, see if you can get to a place where you can maintain a friendship with him. It's not always easy...sometimes the stupidiest little things will upset you and then you'll beat yourself up over them because you know you have no "right" to be jealous or upset, but at the same time, it gets easier a little at a time. I have gotten two incredible and irreplaceable friendships out of guys who decided that they didn't want to have a romantic relationship with me.
Or if you already know that trying to maintain a friendship with him just won't ever work for you, then you'll have to jump back in the river and get a new fish and get him off the line.
I am of the same opinion as just telling it like it is when referring to what a great person you are... I don't get it either...but I guess that's what makes love so special...if everyone fell in love with people all the time, it wouldn't be as magical when it actually happened.
hugs and much love,
--snow
What a waste of time he was!
You gotta be wary of men in their thirties that don't want to be "owned" WTF???
Good luck for you with NF (Next Fish).
Finally! You are available!!!
Now I just gotta solve this little geography dilemma!
;-]
It definitely sounds like his ex did one hell of a number on him. If you really like him I would say be friends for awhile and let him work out his issues. It doesn’t seem like he is past that relationship. Or you could kindly refer him to a counselor.
Just: He wants to get laid..in and out no commitment...LOL ;o) And YES his ex really effed him up!
MM: LOL ;o) You RAWK!!! *giggles*
Los: Science and Math. He clearly has far more issues under the "tip of the iceberg"!
CLEARLY!!!
Snow: BRUTALLY honest. That is why this is such a hard think.
We are able to be "friends" because of that. I know exactly. EXATLY how he feels. That is why I have to figure out the ME in this "relationship" if I dare say. I have let myself become "attached" to people that I know are fun to "hang" around, then never amount to anything. I think this is as much ME as it is him...
But yeah, the freak out was a head shaker!
Paul: That is the crazy funny of it all. I have NEVER EVER EVER thought of a "boyfriend" or significant other as something I "OWN" ~shakes head~
So, the hard wires are a bit in need of re-connection. I am the girl who thinks she can "fix" anything! That is why I am being so self critical.
Rainman: ~taps foot~ So where have YOU been??? BEANS AND RICE!
LOL ;o) I can't turn down the boothah call...~hangs head down in shame~
Marie: EXACTLY! BTW Welcome! LOL ;o) I should be getting like $300 an hour for all the advice huh?!?!?!
Post a Comment