BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Protect yourself!

Yesterday was very helpful to me to see that I may not have had the "flu" or been hung over. (3 drinks = 1 1/2 oz of vodka and Club soda in a tall glass with a lime. Over 4 hours time doesn't equal hang over in my world.) Thanks also to the helpful advice from everyone (IAI and her super cop instincts) I decided that I should help educate us "singles" out there on these preditory drugs. It just goes to show that even if you are drinking in a place that you have "friends" that there still might be people that want to prey on you. Perhaps I got "soft" in my time spent at my "home" bar, and even though I know almost all the patrons, I really dont KNOW them. I do think that I should provide and keep y'all from the horrible "flu" I had on Monday. I think it was an excellent time to review the drugs of choice out there: ( for publishing porposes I have taken excepts from and edited several sites from google.com for this post.)

What are date rape drugs? GHB, Rohypnol and Ketamine have become known as "date rape drugs" or "predatory drugs" because they are used to incapacitate someone for the purposes of committing a crime, often sexual assault. These drugs are odorless and colorless and can easily be slipped into someone's drink. They can cause dizziness, disorientation, loss of inhibition and a loss of consciousness. They can also produce amnesia, causing a victim to be unclear of what, if any, crime was committed. These drugs are particularly dangerous when combined with alcohol, although alcohol alone is still the drug most commonly associated with sexual assault. Read on for more specific information about date rape drugs.

GHB stands for gamma hydroxybutyrate, a central nervous system sedative often referred to by other names such as "Grievous Bodily Harm" and "Liquid Ecstasy." GHB can produce drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, unconsciousness, seizures, severe respiratory depression, and coma. Overdose of GHB can occur quickly and can be fatal.


Rohypnol is a brand name for a powerful sedative that is often referred to as "roofies." Rohypnol is not legally available for prescription in the US and so just having it in your possession signals intent to commit a crime. Rohypnol may cause users to feel intoxicated; they may have slurred speech, impaired judgment, and difficulty walking. The effects are often felt within 10 minutes and can last up to 8 hours. Rohypnol can cause deep sedation, respiratory distress, and blackouts that can last up to 24 hours.

Ketamine is an injectable anesthetic that is intended for veterinary use. It is also known as Special K, K, Vitamin K or Cat Valiums. At high doses, ketamine can cause delirium, amnesia, impaired motor function, high blood pressure, depression, and potentially fatal respiratory problems. Low-dose intoxication from ketamine results in impaired attention, learning ability, and memory.

To protect yourself from date rape drugs, follow these suggestions:
Don't put your drink down. If your drink is out of sight, even for a few minutes, don't finish it. Get yourself a new one.

Don't accept an open drink from anyone.

If you order a drink in a bar, make sure you watch the bartender open the bottle or mix your drink.

Avoid punch bowls. You don't know what's in the punch.

IF you feel any of the symptoms of a date rape drug, get help immediately. Ask for a urine screening test. Though traces of the drug may still appear up to 72 hours after ingestion (depending on dosage, and individual metabolism) the chances of getting proof are best when the sample is obtained quickly.

THE BEST ADVICE IS TO BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND THE PEOPLE IN IT. IF YOU THINK SOMEONE IS TAMPERING WITH YOUR DRINK...TELL SECURITY OR THE MANAGER. The worse thing that can happen is you are keeping yourself safe from the "flu" or worse physical problems. I reported this to the bar I went to and they offered to give me my money back and or a gift card to come back again....Well, we will see about the going back soon part.

12 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

Wow, GREAT post! I'll have to link it!
Incidentally, lots of college police departments give "Date Rape Drug Coasters" out to women, I've tested them and like 'em a lot:
http://www.magnoliamarketinggroup.com/products/drinksafe.html

Mama en Fuego said...

Great Post Bambi, it's frightening how many young women think "Oh he's so nice, he'd never do that to me." It makes you think twice about leaving an unfinished drink at the table when you and your girlfriends go dancing.

One more reason why women need to travel in groups and look out for each other. You and I were SO good about this, but remember Crazy Marly who wanted to go home with that strange weirdo from the club and actually FOUGHT with us when we dragged her home?!?!

Bottom line: come together, leave together, no exceptions.

snowelf said...

I totally agree w/ DB, no friend of mine is allowed to leave with a stranger.

This is a great post. You can tell how much I go out as I thought there was only one drug for this! And those coasters are a great idea, IAI, I didn't even know they existed either.
So, PSA duties much appreciated. :)

Los said...

Sound advice, Bambi (Superstar). One does not want to become a newspaper story (at last not a bad one).

Superstar said...

IAI: ~blushes~ Thanks! Coasters??? That is a grand idea. I love it! I am just so glad that I had my wits about me enough to leave and arrive home safely! I am thinking about it today and OMG I could have been raped!!!! ~BANG HEAD ON HAND, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID BAMBI!~

Dirty: LOL ;o) I remember that! What a flake...we should have left her there...but we are too good of friends to do that to anyone...even those we DISlike! REMEMBER HER LOVE AFFAIR WITH HER CELL PHONE??? LOL ;)

Snow: I really feel stupid I mean I WORK in the bars I should KNOW better! Jesh!
But I LEARNED SOMETHING VERY VALUABLE....

Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

Thank God you left when you started to feel bad. That's part of the scam - you get hot, shed some clothes, feel crappy and leave with the guy who let you lean on him. No one in the bar suspects anything and when doing a witness canvas after-the-fact, all the patrons and tenders are all, "She was all over him."
Glad you left on your own. But another reason why to travel in pairs with a trusted girlfriend.

Mama en Fuego said...

Oh yea, Little Miss I have to call my friend in Seattle while we are in the car on the way to a club so that I can feel important and like have friends???

She's one breader that should have been sterilized.

Yoda said...

What kind of low life scumbags would actually do such things! Its good to be informed though.

Superstar said...

Yoda: I have no idea...but I totally intend to KICK there azzes when I find out! Better yet I will send the info to my azz kickin' IAI wont he be one sorry azz!

Dirty: LOL ;o) OH MY GOD!!! I know!

Los: Thanks! Be sure to share w/ the gal pals!

IAI: I guess honestly untill it happens to "YOU" (Me in this case...) You just don't think to m uch of it...OH it won't happen to me HERE!!! UMMM HMMMMM....

Art_Fulldodger said...

It never ceases to amaze me with the twisted shit guys do to women.

mollymcmo said...

wow how scary, great info on that post though.

i agree with becka, come as a group, leave as a group.

m

Anonymous said...

Came here from IAI. I had this happen to me in college. I went down like a ton of bricks, right on the floor. Thank GOD my future husband and good friend were there to help me. I was a limp lizard and could not stay awake. (Only had 2 drinks over the course of many hours; one of which was behind me at the table where I was sitting). Finally "woke up" when the cab taking us home had to pull over so I could get sick. I got sick once and that was that. I was done with the sickness and instantly woke up a bit. I shook like a leaf for the next two days and felt lousy. There was no other explanation. Very scary!