
After watching the series from Oprah on "Debit Diet" I started thinking about all the things that I really and truely "blew" my money on. (Clothes, bras, undies, hair stuff..) I started noting every dollar and dime to see WHY do I always need MORE money?
While I do enjoy the single life in the aspect, that I don't have to explain a SINGLE purchase that wasn't on the list(My new purse, lip color or ear rings)...I do have to figure out HOW I will pay my bills BY MYSELF. I reflected back on days that I had a bad day at work or I would be driving home, and stop to get something in the drive thru window...Much easier and no left over mess. Here are some things that I am doing and might help even the MOST frugal people...
1. No more eating fast food. (Burger King value meal =$10. Happy Meal from Mc Donalds =$8.50 for "all white meat chicken strips???) $10 a day even with value meals and $1 menu's add up to about $10 a day for eating lunch out.
2. Review the "sale items" in the ads every week. 10 for $10 isn't always the cheapest price for the item. (I found chilli at a competing store $.79 a can. Same thing at the $.99 stores and Dollar generals.)
3. Stock up on the value items within reason. Don't go nuts and buy 300 cans...especially if it's the same price all the time. (Albacore Tuna at the safeway store is $2.49 for a regular can, where at the $.99 store it's only $.99! Chicken in the can too DUH I am going to stock up there for those items.)
4. When it cost more to NOT buy the item at the store. My dad taught me this fine art of what we all call "Cherry picking". I am sure this is why I only like to make left hand turns. "If the item is ON THE WAY to somewhere else...stop and pick it up" I am being frugal w/ gas and my time. Planning....Somethings in a pinch you just have to buy it at the time of need.
5. I called my cell phone, cable and power companies and asked how I can save money on my monthly bill. My cell phone had 3000 min rollover that have not $$$ value or redemable value other than IF I go over on my min then I will not have to pay the $20 a min! So I reduced my "debit" there. The power company put me on the "energy saver" plan which requires me to only use my "heavy duty appliances" after 9pm and before 9am M_F and anytime on the weekends. ??? OK...My cable company (what a racket) I was able to reduce my bill by $15 and get on a "prefered status" for having my bill deducted from my checking account...I don't miss a payment and they get thier money!
6. My sister and I have a game...Who can get the best deal. So her and I will shop together for items at Costco, mostly fresh meat. Then we go home and split up the "goods" and the cost and *POOF* We booth have saved more than if it were on "sale".
7. Cut coupons. I know we all hate the weekly "junk mail" in our mailboxes But cut out the coupons that you KNOW you will use. For example, there was a resteraunt coupon, buy one get the other FREE. I scored a Churches Chiken, Black Angus prime rib and a Islanders, all buy one get one free. BEWARE of the experation date....I can't wait to go to lunch or dinner w/ a friend an USE them! LOL ;o) It really helps me feel like I am doing my part.
8. Credit cards. While Thankfully I don't have to deal with that anymore, did you know that if you miss even one payment or that you are late even one time your annual percentage rate can be bumpped upward to 33%??? Plus a late fee and or the overage fee? Oprah's debit diet showed how you can call them and ask for a reduced amount. There are tactics to use when negotiating these reductions.
9. Can I live with out it? I am amazed everyday what I am able to "live" without having and or spending money on. Underware is supposed to have holes in it right??? JUST KIDDING!
10. Have fun... don't get so locked into "SAVING" money that you actually loose sight of the goal. Go to the movies, but use a voupon or go to the early showing....Afterall I still sneek popcorn, soda and candy into the theater with my BIG purse! Who has $20 for all that at the conssessions stand??? LOL ;o)
So am I frugal or cheap??? I say frugal...
Thursday, August 24, 2006
Living single...
Single Suburbian blah blah blah from Superstar at 2:12 PM

15 Left me pearls of wisdom:
I say inteligent. ;) Do you think Bill Gates became wealthy by throwing money away? :P I LOVED the Oprah Debt Diet series. And I learned NOT to close my cc accounts as they get paid off, which was what I was planning on doing. One down, three more (with very small annoying balances, but enough to take little nips out of my budget) to go.
After my husband ran our credit into the ground, I read and researched and taught myself these very same ways of managing money. I gave up fast food and lost 45 pounds in the process. An excellent bonus prize, I say. ;)
Those are some great ideas. The fast food thing is a huge one. I try to bring my lunch a couple days a week over just going out to fast food alley. Not only is it better for me but saves me big bucks.
We went from dual income down to one awhile ago and man that was a major shock to the system. We are now adjusted to that lifestyle but man what a kick in the ass at first. I learned how to shop with coupons and save bucks anywhere I could real quick. I pretty much hate Oprah with a passion but to each their own.
I am a coupon clipping mad-man - my wife makes fun of me, but we save about $30 a shopping trip (we go every two weeks).
I'm gonna have to call my electric company to see if we can get the energy save plan!
I HATE the cable company. By the way, not sure if it is offered in your area, but Cavalier phone company is excellent - much cheaper than the big ones.
I HATE Oprah with a passion. I even have an "I HATE OPRAH" post brewing ...
Regardless, the frugality you've outlined is a good start. When we decided I was staying home with the Genius Child and we lost 3/4 of our income, we needed to do some money-saving ideas. Coupons were always important but I started making KAATN bring his lunch to work instead of eating out and that helped tremendously. He didn't do fast food but all those meals add up quick. (BTW, fast food is sooooooooooooo bad for you anyway, just cut.it.out.)
We also (until the dog situation) had eliminated the use of a credit card and just used the checkcard - if the cash wasn't available, then it had to be evaluated as to whether or not the item needed (or wanted) was important enough to require a transfer of money into the checkcard account.
And make a list when you go to the grocery store (or any store) and stick to it unless you forgot a necessity item ... it helps you eliminate those pricey impulse buys.
Wise tips, I say.
Money saved, is money earned!
Smow: I know! I really accredit most of my weight loss to the fact that I have stopped eating out! GOOD job on your loss!!! 45lbs is AMAZING!!!!
RAINMAN: Shock indead...But I bet you look back and when your income increases will be able to make WISE choices vs impulse...I know Oprah isn't anyone's fav...
IAI: I normally can't stand Oprah, but this info peeks my (budget) intrest while I am between contracts I seriously had to tighten up the belt! I only noted the items that were important to ME not to the families the debit counslor was working with. I also liked it because Oprah didn't "interview' them as she does other guests...
LOS: I have not heard of Caviller?
I would go with satilite, but I do not have a SE facing apt to get all the primo channels...no NFL for me. ;(
Yoda: Thank YOU!!!
30's..I think you have some wonderful ideas..heck I just spend 3 years not working and living on a tight buget while going to school...it was hard at first not living with thoughs things that I took for granted when I worked,but you know what I wasn't any less happier because I couldn't stop and get that late...or pop at the gas station...still trying to get out of poverty but I am happy...having tons of money doesn't make you happy...and you can't take it with ya...I always say on one ever died say gee I wish I had worked more and spent was less time with family and friends....just my take on life...
ahhh that was way less time with family and friends...and wohoooo on losing wieght...fat my nemisis
I say frugal. And I also say, GOOD FOR YOU!!! Americans are encouraged and pushed to live WELL BEYOND THEIR MEANS and it makes me seriously sick. It keeps the rich - rich, and the poor - poor. Seriously, it's an epidemic and I'm tired of being told that we'll be good enough when we have this product, or this car or whatever. I find it disgusting.
So, I'm proud of you!!! Keep up the good work. After all, we work hard for our money, no?
I say frugal.
When single I lived on Corn Flakes and Bologne. I didn't have cable, I had rabbit ears. I had basic phone service, just enough to call 911. I used dial-up for my computer, which sucked but it was economical. I shopped at the dollar store. I did super loads with my laundry. I planned out my errand route so I wouldn't have overlapping miles.
To curb my shopping addiction, I might put something in my cart but before I get to the register I ask myself #1: Do I currently have anything in my closet that goes with this? #2: How often will I really use it? #3: What will I have to give up in order to have this?
Also, although I am not a big Wal-Mart fan, Wal-Marts grocery store will honor ANY local competitors ads or coupons. I've gotten smokin' deals on produce especially.
A past time I occassionaly enjoy is coupon clipping and rebate buying and finding a deal so awesome that I actually got PAID for taking their item in the end...AND THEN being able to use it as a gift! Like Bubble Bath or whatever!
#9 Can I live without it?
This one taunts me every day of my life. Sometimes the joy of owning a home based business clashes really bad with my personal love of technology. Do I need a larger computer screen? Well, on the business end, It would help, but then my other stuff would look really cool on it.... See? I've worked on the same monitor for the past 3 years without a problem, but my brain justifys the purchase by saying it's for the business.
That's why I have a female accountant. To put the kibash on that "larger is better" male mentality.
Alright, this is the 3rd time I've tried to post this thing over the past 2 days. I hope you get it, otherwise - tough cookies.
FRUGAL
Totally frugal...and thanks for the tips
Just don't start reusing your toilet paper, ok? Deal? hehe
I'm trying - you've inspired me. No fast food - no junk snacks.
Post a Comment