The Bold Quotes are from MSNNBC.Com...
*A record four million children, some as young as 2, are being diagnosed with ADHD, and many are being put on powerful medications, perhaps for life. Now a growing number of experts are sounding alarm bells.
Could this be because we live in an “instant” society filled with drive thru’s, cell phones (what ever happened to the pager?), microwaves (ever caught yourself tapping your foot at your food taking 3 min instead of 45?) VCR/DVD’s Tivo (guilty) and promises of results IMMEDIATELY (as if 5-10 min really killed anyone?)
*Soaring numbers of American children are being prescribed anti-psychotic drugs , in many cases, for attention deficit disorder or other behavioral problems for which these medications have not been proven to work, a study found.
We are putting the kids in front of a TV for 4-8 hours a day and we don’t expect that they would lack in some kind of being able to pay attention. Look at reality shows. Lets take family programming: Extreme Home Makeover, They build a house in 7 days…First of all 7 DAYS!!!! Then in the span of 45 min (15min of commercials) they show the “time delay” of the journey of the house being built. So now a 5 year old sees this and can only think that we have to go faster…. See comment above…Instant breakfast, IMMEDIATE results? OYE VEY….
*One-third of the nation’s youngest children, babies through age 6, live in homes where the television is on almost all the time, says a study that highlights the immense disconnect between what pediatricians advise and what parents allow.
Why is it that it takes more to get a drivers license than to have a child? I had to take one semester in drivers ed, pay $107 (1987, damn I’m old), and take coaching from a professional who had been driving for more than 10 years. To have a baby, well, there are no classes you are required to take, no license that you must obtain, merely the insolence of not knowing how NOT to reproduce. I get further irate at these “mothers” who govern their home from the couch. My sister has a 1 year old and a 3 year old. They have structured times and designated responsibilities. My 3 yr old niece is allowed to watch “her TV shows” that are interactive learning for 1 hour in the morning. That is 2 , ½ hour shows. Then she is allowed to play on the computer for one hour. Most of the time she just wants to look at her books. She is allowed to watch movies, that have been approved of by Mom and Dad, which she can watch anytime in her play room. They have designated nap times and meal breaks. Between that my Sister PLAYS with them and interacts with them, teaching them vocabulary words and numbers, in two languages, Spanish and English. To the LAZY Mom’s I say GET OFF THE COUCH and GET OFF Welfare. (Ironically, my neighbor is this person. She yells at her kids OUTSIDE from her sofa INSIDE…grrrrrr)
*Eight in 10 children younger than 6 watch TV, play video games or use the computer on a typical day.
Now I think this is smart as long as it is used in moderation. Moderation is a word that seems to befuddle Americans today…Video games can actually enhance visual acuity and improve eye hand coordination. But again, MODERATION….I can not stress this word enough. MODERATION!
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Startling statistics about Future kids!
Single Suburbian blah blah blah from Superstar at 10:16 AM

7 Left me pearls of wisdom:
Moderation? What's that?
Amen sister! I was recently at a graduation where my friend's son was playing on his Gameboy from the time I arrived (6:00) to the time we finished dinner (9:15). He even played the damn thing while he was walking.
As a mother to be I am saddened and frustrated by the number of mothers who don't want to put forth the effort to actual parent their children.
I have told my husband that there will be no DVD player in our car on road trips. That's what books on CD, and newspapers are for. My mom read to us in the car. Ironically enough I still listen to the news every morning and am an avid reader.
Mom did good, she taught me to entertain myself with something other than the TV.
Ugh, how depressing. When I grew up, I was only allowed to watch so many hours of TV a week, my mom and dad took an active interest in me (not just sitting me in front of a tv), and encouraged me to play sports or do creative things. I plan on doing the same with my kids some day.
LOS: I know...I have been thinking about this topic and how it totally discounts the validity of actual children that can benefit from meds and such w/ ADHD. I wish more adults had our shared idea about raising kids.
Smokin Steve: LOL ;o) You kill me.
Becka: AMEN and GIVE ME A BREAK…Tell his parents to Grow some onions Fella or buy some stones and TAKE that dang game away from HIM! Make him sit there to LEARN that life isn't always fair and sometimes you have to buck up and sit through the world most boring events. (of course someday he will discover alcohol and see that helps with those events...)JK Still.
I believe that excess is a good thing... in moderation of course.
For instance, I believe in following up an entire weekend of eating as much as you want and as badly as you want with eating two weeks of salads. It all evens out in the end.
I believe that excess is a good thing... in moderation of course.
steve...........you kill me!
I had a lot of grand ideas on what I would do when I had children, then i actually had them! LOL! the best things I've learned along the way is
1. Love them, show them that you love them.
2. Be flexible.
and
3. nobody is supermom, you just do the best you can.
and the anybody can reproduce thing........hey i agree with that one! look at the k-fed and britney spears, yall! LOL!
m
Wait a minute Crassus...
All we had in the 80's was reading books and playing ball?
Somehow you equate the 80's with the 50's. Did you grow up in the same decade as me?
I grew up in those 80's, and I played more than my share of Atari, and I watched a shitload of 80's sitcoms. TV and video games were around in a big way in the 80's. And I admit to doing too much of both. I would say that too much TV and video games got started in the 80's for many kids.
I also played a lot of ball too. I guess I had the best of both worlds.
Post a Comment