
So I am stunned at the 23 screws that went into a horses ankle. A horse that won the Kentucky Derby and will never be ridden again, but is "showing interest in the mares" Well isn't that a guy thing to do? Hey girls, I just had 23 screws put into me and look at me?!?!? Look I can still jump and run and stuff..."How you doing..." (in the voice of Joey from friends)... So they are putting a horse thru this trama, "for breeding purposes". OK?!?!?!?
Well, this got me to thinking as the new caster mentioned that most horses would have been euthanized for such a horrible injury, and yet Barbaro is doing a-ok. Now why is it that we will do this for our animal (pet's are people too) but not respect the wishes of people that do not "want to suffer" I watch as my own mother struggles with RA, so badly that it attacked her internal organs, my cousin who had cancer of her throat, neck and mouth (never chewed or smoked a day in her life) and have to struggle with being able to eat. Is currently refusing an NG tube (feeding her thru her nose w/ blended protein) Why don't we allow our selves the opportunity if the Dr's know that we will only SUFFER from the treatment and or not make it through, why cant we choose this option for ourselves???
While I am sure many in the catholic church will be commenting that this is a form of suicide and the Christians will argue that "Job" was given many trials and plagues to live thru, and that was God's way of giving us examples to live by....I just don't see that if a person has made the peace with the maker that they can CHOOSE not to suffer. Why do we only hold this for animals? Are we not animals too? Well ok, so aside from the thumbs and the brain that allows us to reason...hmmmmm
I have seen both my own family members suffer and alzhiemers patients whose mind was once rock solid, now, having no control over thier own body, peeing their pants and swearing like a teenager. Families that were horrified to see Mom and Dad acting that way. Horrified Grandchildren, saying, "if Nanna knew she were acting like this, she would go get a switch and swat her own bottom!" BREAKING my heart!
So just to pose a question, to anyone either side...What do you think?
Monday, May 22, 2006
It's ok for animals but not for people?
Single Suburbian blah blah blah from Superstar at 1:36 PM

4 Left me pearls of wisdom:
I think why the church is OK with euthanasia for animals and not for humans is that somehow they consider humans to be above animals.
Given the daily barrage of bombs all over the world (and our bloodied histories) sometimes I think that you really have to be crazy to believe in that.
But, then --hey, its your life, lead it the way you want it. If you have regrets later don't come cryin' to me.
Yoda, That is my point. We make these "selfless choices" for animals but we hold on to people. Even when the person has a living will and has stated that they want to be DNR. I most certainly do not want to end my life on a machine or have tubes in my nose to feed me like in the case of Terri Shirvo(sp?) I know that I would have a much harder time making that choice for another....I am just curious to hear what others might think. I guess that is the Sociologist in my coming out! ;o)
NO Regrets in my life...See Star Trek episode-Que sends Picard back to when his heart was stabbed?? I think my life has been the same. Each event lead me to another and another that Made me who I am. I am who I am because of it...Wouldn't change a thing..OK Well the money. I would change the money. ;o)
Well it's not okay, and I disagree with the church in saying that chosing not to live artificially is a sin. Terri Schiavo wasn't living, she was existing, there is a BIG difference.
I for one have chosen only to be kept alive artificially if I am pregnant, only as long as is medically necessary to bring my child to full term. I am totally secure in my relationship with God. So much so I know he would forgive me for chosing peace over pain.
Tough question. I agree with becka. I think that once someone has to live by artificial means with no hope of ever beign able to survive without them (much like Terry Schiavo) and can't make the decision for themselves anymore, it might be best to consider Euthenasia. That being said, I'd hate to be put in that position with a family member.
Post a Comment