BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves….

Ok so, being single and living alone is not all fun and games. Now don’t get me wrong. I have so enjoyed being on my own again after 4 years of room mates and 3 months of a BAD boyfriend. I LOVE living on my own. There are just a few things that I notice more and more, things that most of us take for granted. Here are a few:

Washer and Dryer: They don’t all come as an amenity in all the apartments. So I had to buy a set. (34 and never have purchased a major appliance like a W/D) OK So, I set out and find a USED appliance store and they want $150 for both. I consult my sister KA WHO IS 4 years YOUNGER than me to see if this is a good deal. (AGAIN, I have never bought a purchase like this) She advised me yes to get them. OK Then about a week later my good friend Becka offers me her used W/D set for $50….OK my first thought was I don’t care if they are avocado green, and matching mustard yellow, as long as I don’t have to use a laundry mat or drive to my sisters every week. They are perfect! They are White and Matching?!?!? OMG Complete god send! WHOOO HOOO! So I get my friend JT to help me haul them to the apt and hook them up. Problem, no hose that leads from the back of the dryer to the wall vent. JT says, “oh they line up, you don’t even need a hose” FAMOUS LAST WORDS!!! Yes this is a very important gadget, unless of course, you like dust bunnies all over your house! So yes this $9 device is as important as the plug. SO watching me install it would have been more fun than a 30 min sit com. First let me describe the broom closet, that houses the W/D. Literally a grown person stands in there and has enough room to turn around, in a circle. OK so I pull the Dryer out, (after 2 beers) and somehow think that at 5’10’’ that I can LEAN over the dryer and attach the hose. I tried this. LOL ;o) OK, so I am so lucky that I didn’t land on my head…then I got a bright idea! A step stool! SO I climbed over onto the stool and went on the back side of the dryer (again I have only room for me to bend over/squat) attach to both of the vents climb back over and push the dryer back into it’s home. I just kept feeling like rats in a maze. (breath, breath, breath…Nice buzz) WHOO HOOO It’s all in!

GUY” jobs: Growing up in my house and in my relationships, there are certain chores that were designated a “boy” jobs. Taking out the trash…Yes I know all my libertarians are FREAKING out right now, and call me old fashion, but there are so things that guys just do better than ME (notice I stated "ME" not all women…relax) Taking out the garbage, hooking up the electronics, (Cable, internet, TV/VCR/DVD wires…white yellow and red…I look like a monkey doing a math problem) Chasing the 12 year old who likes to steal things off your porch…”Can I have my pot back?” Hey you little S*IT I need my POT!” LOL Yes, there are some kids who think taking my $5 flower pot is “funny” I just think it’s funny I am yelling after him to get my “pot” back…

Cooking & Cleaning: This completely stinks. While I am watching my diet and I am desperately trying to loose about 50 lbs for my friends wedding…I can not master the cooking for 1. So I cook these meals for myself and ½ the neighbor hood, and am left to put the leftovers in plastic containers, freeze them and then the next day or DAYS, I can throw in the microwave for left over lunches…just not the same. Cleaning? Well this is a catch 22. While i the past I could always blame the “roomie” for the dishes in the sink, my current roomie, my dog, will not pass as the cultrate to creating the pile of dishes in the sink. Who used all those dishes anyway? I only ate leftovers!!??!?! Will someone please tell me how a closed up home gets dust? I know I live in the desert and dust is just how things are, but the A/C is on and the windows and doors are closed. Do I have gnomes? LOL ;o) If I do, why aren’t they dusting, vacuuming and bleaching the bathroom?!?!?!?!? No free loading you gnomes, get to work or be gone!

9 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Los said...

I'm sure you've been told this before, but there are many great websites with great recipes - epicurious.com is a good one.

As for "the guy jobs," I don't know if I can help you with that one. We men just have a "skill" with taking out the trash.

Superstar said...

As soon as you move from PA to PHX you let me know...I will let you take out all the trash you want! ;o)JK! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I'm good at trash, and I hooked up all the DVD and VCR stuff. But my fiancee and I fight over the dishes.

Why are dishes so damn undesirable to do?

Mama en Fuego said...

I seem to have those gnomes as well. Only mine leave their dirty underwear right NEXT to the hamper. I'm not kidding, right next to the damn thing so their touching. This same gnome leaves his nightly bowl of ice cream on his bed side table everynight so that in the morning the spoon is glued to the bowl.

My husband takes the garbage out but he NEVER puts a new bag in the trash can. It's one of those stupid things that drives me nuts. Did I say husband..I meant gnome...yea the gnome does it.

Mama en Fuego said...

okay and why can't I edit my comment after I published it? My GG is rolling over in her grave because I put the wrong "there" in there. The correct word is "they're."

Excuse me while I go flog myself with my grammatical cat-o-9tails.

Superstar said...

GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK Becka! GEEESSHHHH! English Teacher, that is what you need to be. LOL ;o) YOu are a funny funny lady!

Smokin Steve: Dishes are stinky, Wet and generally you don't know what to do w/ the left overs...starving kids in Africa syndrome....
Hey do you ever fight about the remote controls? Yeah, let me know how that works out for you. I eventually gave up and got a 2nd Tv. ;o)That worked until that one was "better/newer" than the other one... OYE VEY..I just need yes NEED to find out what happened on ER. That is it. Seems simple enough...until it is competing w/ a Sports program. Thank GOD for TIVO!!!

mollymcmo said...

while we share MOST things, there are still guy jobs here.
that said there isn't anything in this household that could be labelled just girl jobs.

things are working out perfectly here (insert dr.evil laugh! muhahaha! my plan is working perfectly! LOL!)

m

Anonymous said...

We have three tv's. It works perfectly.

Cheetarah1980 said...

that's why I don't cook or clean.