So, where did we leave off? FYI this is a LONG post...get your coffee and fuzzy slippers ready!
Ahhh yes, I get back to the house, store the 15 items of furniture for my Uncle and I am calling to tell my relatives the news. I split the cost three ways. So we each owe $217. Just to let you know, that included at no extra cost the day labor guys that I hired to unload and reload the trailer at each house. I also will keep your items in my garage, giving up my parking spot, at no additional charge.
*chirping crickets*
~I smack the phone~
"Hello"? I said? Did I drop the call?
*Uncle clears throat*
"No, just how did you come to THOSE figures?" He asked all snarky.
""Well, I just divided it by three." "I took the cost of the trailer and the gas receipts for the return trip and split them three ways." I responded.
"Well, how come I don't get a break, since I only had a few things?" He barks.
"How would you lie me to do it? weigh each item, and then crunch some algebraic equation from that I haven't done since HS to get you a different number?" I said scoffing.
"Fine, I will cut a check" he said curtly, then he just HUNG UP!
I wish to the love of that sweet baby Jesus, that, I could end the story there.
TWO day's later, my father calls, for my address. Then he asks, what happened, that I managed to upset the Uncles apple cart. I replied, "Daddy, I did like you asked and advised me to do...split the bill in thirds. I practiced the number, just like you coached me, and when I told him, I swear I could hear his sphinx er pucker up from here.
"HMMM well, I just don't know what he is complaining about $217 for." Dad says.
"Well, he hung up on me, and I tried to phone them and discuss the matter, like adults. NO ONE will call me back!" I told him.
***In the interest of keeping you, lets just say, Several phone calls were between dad, brother and then dad and me.****
~cue mailbox scene~
I get a letter from the Uncle. The note reads: Here are the figures according to MY calculations...then he cut a check to my sister for 1/2 of the 217. Then cuts PhxMan and I one MINUS the cost of the lunch he bought, the day we went to his storage shed and loaded the 15 items....WTF? Seriously? At this point PHXMan is ready to BURN the "crap" we are storing and I am holding him back from this, while myself pushing down the desire to smash it all w/ my hammer! *Use your words, Use your words, I kept saying in my head*
So here is the letter I sent back-
I am both sad and disappointed about the way this situation has been handled. We are all adults and it is disheartening that we could not have had a simple phone call to smooth this all out. I am a reasonable and logical adult woman and pride myself in being able to resolve conflicts. I apologize if I may have said something that may have lead us to the point of us not amicably resolving the case of the moved furniture.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a valuable life lesson and a reminder of a couple of favorite idioms that my father uses. “There is no such thing as a free lunch” and “No good deed goes unpunished.” It is because of this lesson that I am not able to accept your payment.
Thank you for your promise of having your belongings removed from our garage as quickly as possible (according to your letter “on or before July 5th). Would you please get me the name and phone number of this “friend” so that I can make arrangements to be home. You can text me the information, e-mail (bambi513@gmail.com) or respond in writing. I am sure you can appreciate, that for my personal safety, that I would not want to open my door to just any stranger, nor would I want your friend to be inconvenienced if we are not home.
Good luck in your future moves and drives from Washington{{{for dramatic effect I tore up the checks into confetti with this letter!}}}}
OK so here is the e-mail I get as a response....(OH, and I didn't change a word, comma or spelling)
Thank you, Bambi, for sending us the only nasty letter we have ever received. We did not ask your father to call you. We were going to pay the money without any question. We just needed your address. Did you rent a larger trailer just for us? We did not ask you to do that. Even so, we will pay you the funds you have requested. I am truly sorry that you feel the way you do. Hopefully, we have helped many others along the way including you. We have never expected anything from anyone in return. Actually, they all have been there for us. This is a very tragic situation. I am sorry that this has happened.
Seriously? My Aunt acts like she has NO CLUE.....~rolls eyes~ Sooooo here is what I sent back. Fairly good for the bottle of wine I drank just before writing and sending it....LOL
This situation is not tragic. A car bomb killing innocent children in the streets of Iraq is tragic.
Nasty? What was that deducting the lunch, if not a jab and then a right cross of nasty? How about sending Sister K a check when Uncle KNEW it was PHXMan and I that fronted all the money for the move and additional costs? Talk about a blow!
The fact remains, that we both should have negotiated up front on the costs with regards to the move. I accept responsibility for that. I just never in my life imagined such a clatter would arise over $217.00!!! To respond to your question, we did not rent a bigger trailer just to accommodate your belongings to the mix. It was the largest one available, Sister K and I wanted to be sure that we were able to get our belongings all in one load.
PhxMan and I don't want your money, it clearly comes at too high a price. I have been one of those people that have stood by all of my family members, even when I know they are wrong. That is part of who I am. "blood is thicker than water". It hurts me deeply that you and Uncle would compare me to my dead Mothers' negativity. I have worked really hard to learn from many of her mistakes with regard to the feuding on the Superstar-Rich side of the family. We really were just trying to do the right thing and be as fair as possible. Somehow that was lost in all of this hullabaloo.
I understand from Sister K that she will be picking up your belongings. I have let her know about the inventory (15 items) and that it may take her 2 trips with the truck they own. Then again, she is a master at the packing, so she might be able to get it on the first try!
The best I can offer is to wipe this miscommunication off the books and start fresh. I don't know what else I can possibly do. I have returned your money, I have apologized and I have kept your belongings safe and sound as promised. I have done all I am able to do at this juncture.
Do I need the money? Sure. I am a SCHOOL TEACHER who is facing the unemployment line, thanks to the state budget blowout....But seriously? I would rather hold a cup out on the freeway turnpike than to take their money.
What do you all think??? What would you do???
Thursday, July 02, 2009
The case of the Moving furniture, CONT...
Single Suburbian blah blah blah from Superstar at 9:42 PM

9 Left me pearls of wisdom:
The whole thing just sucks. It's so petty. If there was an issue with how much you were charging, then he should have just talked to you about it. It seems like they really thought they were going to teach you a lesson. The expense of this is now far greater than $217. Really, they'd rather fight with family?!It sucks because I'm sure you'll be dealing with the repercussions for awhile.
Thanks for the continuation.
Lovely. This is where I just pretend those relatives don't exist. It just isn't worth my time. Much like my aunt who invited my family (extended) via email to a "day after Memorial Day" barbeque. No time given. No date given. I asked what time and if she meant Tuesday. Nope, she meant Sunday the 31st since the 30th is the ACTUAL Memorial Day. Well, no, it isn't. In 1972, it was changed. And no one calls that Memorial Day. And I'm done complaining... but she's an example of relatives I just ignore. Including when I see her tomorrow at a different aunt and uncle's :) Good luck!
Michelle: LOL You had me at LOVELY!!! The thing of it is...I clearly live 1500 miles away from THESE people for a reason!
Unknown Mami:I think our family has the infamous "guilt" card down so well, that we pack our bags before anyone says a word...Thanks for reading!
Nothing like a good story about family miscommunication! I've been involved in that far too many times in my life.
Los: Thank you! After reading your post, this all seems so friggin petty, I wanted to barf.
I guess all in all, I can say that I did the right thing. Have I told you today that you rock?
Well, there you go! THanks for reading and keeping up w/ me!
{hugs}
Bambi, you did the right thing, obviously. Sometimes being an adult (or should I say, NOT being an adult) knows no age limit.
Jims: {{{hugs}} LOL Thank you! Thanks for what I should have already know...I am right! ~folds arms over chest~
So how was Scotland? I want details...
You handled the situation with tact and grace. I wouldn't have accepted the money either. What a mess.
--snow
Snow: Thank you! I agree. I just am so glad that it's all over.
*sigh*
Post a Comment