BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 23, 2009

10 things they don't make like they used to


The Prompts:
1.) They just don't make (fill in the blank) like they used to!
2.) If you had the time and money...what charity would you help raise awareness for?
3.) What are YOU giddy about?
4.)What's on YOUR little kids list? 5.)Describe what brought you closer to your faith.
I pick #1!
Here are the top 10 things that THEY don't make like they used to:
10. Stationary. Letters. No one uses the snail mail anymore. If I didn't owe some medical company money, I swear I don't think I would get any mail at all! No one sends love letters or even post cards. It is truly a lost art.
9. Vacuum cleaners. Seriously. Does anyone else remember the salesman that sold your family, the vacuum that would last A LIFETIME. NOW I am lucky to get a vacuum cleaner to last more than two years.
8. Clocks. Do you know, that last year out of 120 kids only about 30 of them could read an analog clock. (OH that is the clock with the numbers 1-12 and you have a big hand and a little hand to indicate the time.) WHY? Because EVERYTHING is DIGITAL!!!
7. Tools. You know those rakes and shovels, or your hoes...(*ahem not WHORES*) the wood handles have been replaced by crappy plastic. I swear I was lifting a scoop of rock and the handle bent. ~looks around~ Seriously? Who makes defective plastic handled HEAVY DUTY tools??? ~rolls eyes~
6. Family board games. I bought a family favorite: Chinese Checkers. The marbles are plastic and the "board" is a fold up cardboard number. ~looks around~ Wait! Can I even call them marbles if they are made of plastic?? Plastic balls? Remember when games had pieces that could be sucked up by the vacuum and you had to dig it out of the bag? Remember everyone would pitch a fit NOT to get the chewed up piece? OH and the vacuum still worked after it sucked everything up!
5. Nail Polish. I swear the "chip free" and "hard as nails" is NOT. My nails still chip. My polish still peals off. Remember when the color Red (*I have renamed Come F**K me RED*) took pure acetone and a file to remove? *sigh*
4. Furniture. I'm I the only one who thinks that the items that we sit on should be made out of more than plywood and nails??? How about upholstery? Anyone else notice that what they use is crap for long term use. If it were not for the creation of a couch cover...I would be sitting on the floor with large pillows.
3. TV shows. Remember when there was only 8 channels? When screen writers used grammar? Producers only created shows that they KNEW would last the test of time? Now a day's to get any kind of "real" programing I have to go to HBO or Showtime. Networks sure have let themselves go....*deep sigh*
2. Clothing. Remember double stitching and heavy duty seams? My Aunt H can sew with her machine, what looks like a serger sewed it! Patterns could be used more than one time and didn't dissolve when they hit water. HMMMM the good old days when it was cheaper to MAKE an original rather than buy at a ROSS or Target, what I call the "throw away" clothes.
1. Friends. I remember the days that a true friend was there to bail you out of jail, or even better sitting right next to you in jail. What happened to a pinky swear? When did a BFF get replaced with celbrataunts and trashy "proximity" people. Friendship is a gift. They are the people that may not see each other everyday, or even all the time, but they are there for you when you are "down" just as much as when you are "up". I have been blessed in this life with some GREAT friends that are truly there for me...I can honestly say though, that they don't make them like they used to!
Your turn!


10 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Dumb Mom said...

Totally with you on the stationary thing (that's why I do Thursday Thank Yous)! And, I have a blog land friend suggestions for you. Awesome 30 something single in the suburbs type chick who, incidentally is my BFF. She writes www.thetoofatties.blogspot.com, and if she has found you yet, I'm about to tell her so she can stalk you immediately! Blog stalking is a HUGE part of our lives:). Thanks for stopping by my place today. Come back soon!

Ananda girl said...

Oh I love this post... yes, yes I do remember all of those things!

Love the "Come F**k Me" Red nail polish. You didn't dare get it on your skin or it didn't come off of there either. hahaha

I still have that one true friend... I am blessed. It is soooo rare. It is sad that we no longer live in the same area. But we blog at each other and email daily. Almost as good. Almost.

Hey... loved the song too. Gonna go get that one. Yay!

Glad to see you at Oodles of Funch today. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. This list is SO good and so right on the money! I cringe at terribly cheap furniture. I cringe often since it is all over my house : ) And I know what you mean about the vacume. I keep wanting to try a dyson since they supposedly suck good for many years, but I never have an extra 500 when my vacume breaks EVERY SINGLE YEAR....

Great list.

Summer said...

I miss mail too...handwritten letters....

Ahhhh, those were the good ol days!

Superstar said...

Parenting: I am so glad that I am not the only one!
Thank you! I can't wait to pop over and see your recommends!

Ananda: Song is my fav idol; Chris Daughtry. This is his sophmore album. Thank you ! Thank you!

~bows~

Kashion: I cringe at HOW MUCH everyone pays for this JUNK!!! LOL

Summer: E-mail me and we can be old fashion pen pals!

Liz Mays said...

Some of my favorite mementos are the letters my grandmother wrote to me when I was little! I used to spend hours on the couch writing letters to people, even after I got married. I miss all that too.

Consider me the latest trashy "proximity" person to be celebretauntin' you.

Los said...

Vacuum cleaners - I couldn't agree with you more! Mine breaks all the time, and the suction is ridiculously bad ... my mom still has the one she bought 30 years ago!

Sandra said...

Oh Wow! That list is awesome!!!

I completely concur!

Farmers Wifey said...

This is a fantastic list, well thought out. I also agree with the stationery, I used to love getting mail from my overseas pen pals, it was so exciting. Now its email and its sort of not the same...

Claudya Martinez said...

My husband likes to make postcards and send them to people. It's so nice to get actual mail.

I can't believe I've been missing all of your posts. What the hell?!