BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 30, 2008

The Mighty Mo, Oahu, Part III

Welcome to the Missouri!!! This is the ship of all ships!

Look how big this thing is. Just to get up to the main deck we had to climb up 3 flights of stairs.
Once we got up the scaffold, at eye level, we asked permission to board her.


I know this is sideways, but I had no idea that from the bow the slant. I would say the slope is about a 30% angle. At the top, you can see the anchor chain.


This is the First deck. It's not the main deck, but the navagator's deck.




Just to give y'all an idea of how big these guns are, look at the people! These guns can shoot the equivalent of a car out the cannons. The tour guide asked us to imagine a boat 20 miles of shore, and as we are hanging in our hammocks, we hear the guns, and honda's nissans, and such are being fired from these cannons.

Here is the base of the guns. In the white hat is me...for my new readers, I am 5' 10''.


We headed for the "Trueman line" and to get there, we had to take the stairs. Check out how steep they are! Most of the tour had to take these stairs backwards.


Once we got down the stairs, we saw the galley. This is where the sailors would eat. President Truman, actually stayed on board. They since have converted his estate room into an ops. The Ops was used for the gulf war, as The Mighty Mo was in 3 wars.

This is an example of the "game" area for the men.


This is the bunks. They actually still use this for HS and Jr. HS kids for overnight stays. Kids get to experience what life is like on board a ship.



This is the ship that put an end to WWII. This is the document on the signing deck.



The intrument of surrender. The Canadan Col. actually signed on the wrong line. So there was some scribbling that went on. According to the tour guide, the other GENERALS were a bit miffed that Canada only sent a COL. LOL..


This is the official plaquard that is preseverd on the deck.


The official signing picture.
So folks that is the end of the tour in Hawaii! Hope y'all have enjoyed all the pics. I tried to pic ones that were fun and interesting, without going overboard.
Let me know what you liked best!!! (For my war buffs, if you want more pics, send me an e-mail and I will send you all. )

5 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Angie said...

Nice pictures.. thanks for sharing...

Los said...

Superstar, how many times did you have to change the batteries on your camera? Looks like a fantastic trip! I'm jealous ...

Superstar said...

Los: we actually forgot the charger, so everytime we took a pic, we quickly shut it off! LOL Lesson learned! I didn't load all of them, so if people want more, I have them.
I also did a CD of the pics so when Im teaching WWII all I have to do is load the pic's and talk about it while we read in the book.

Sunshine: Thank's chicka!!!

snowelf said...

Thanks for the tour, Super! :) (I actually never get tired of looking at vacation pics.)

--snow

none said...

Fantastic. What a great tour. The Missouri is an icon of American military might.