BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Words in the south...


Hey y'all while I am waiting on my vacation pictures to download, I thought I would share some words and phrases that we use in the "south". Nothing like a trip to East Tennessee to remind us:
1. "She's a mess"...and by "mess" they mean "a hoot and a holler". UMMM just me, but why don't they just say a hoot and a holler?
2. " We are fixin' to...." What they mean is they are preparing to...do something or go somewhere...
3. "Yauntooo." This is short for You Want to?
4. "rack 'em" : doesn't mean to get the playing cards out to play poker. My suggestion is...GET OUT OF THE LINE OF FIRE!!! It's in reference to the shot gun.
Some little facts about living in the south:
1. Don't throw out any grease of any kind. Someday you will need it. You will get instructions with how and when to use it. make sure the container has a lid.
2. SOP @ a Waffle House is to order anything with grits. Be prepared that it is not served in a bowl.
3. When family is in on vacation, BREAK IT OFF with boyfriend so you can have helpers to move all your furniture to a storage unit and Mamma' s house.
4. The only places to get more than a beer is a social club. VFW here I come! Otherwise get comfy at the local Tavern and beer. If its high class you get it on tap and served in a beer mug. Otherwise just sit a home on the veranda AKA Porch.
5. There are no lemons for your beer. *giggles* Be sure to ask for one, because the bartenders haven't laughed enough this week.
Hope you enjoyed this weeks review of southern speak! What do y'alls think?

5 Left me pearls of wisdom:

Los said...

Jeff Foxworthy had a bit on Southern words ... I remember seeing this bit in the 80's ... it was hysterical ... I think he had this before he had the "You know you're a red-neck" bit.

Superstar said...

Los: I was called a mess...and I damn near came unglued until I KNEW what the heck it ment! OHHH Im a hoot and a holler! LOL

Farmers Wifey said...

don't forget to post some holiday pics, I love all things USA so can't wait to see what you got up to!!!!

Jim McKee said...

Didja get "carried" anywhere?

When I lived in Tennessee, I asked someone for a ride once when I didn't have a car... He said, "Yeah, I'm fixin' to leave, I'll carry ya up there"... which caused me to think, "Damn, I'm pretty heavy, dude, I'm not so sure you could carry me more than a couple of feet... not to mention the general uncomfortableness of the whole concept."

;-]

Claudya Martinez said...

Good to know.