Once again, it's that time of the week. Writers workshop. I chose prompt #6, Write words that hurt.
Despite the fact, I have just spent the last 13 hours in Parent teacher confrences, I still must get my homework done. *sigh* I am really tired and almost just said, my picture is "worth a thousand words". Alas, no! I will write words that make me really sad.
1. Morbidly Obese
2. Nig*er
3. You are overdrawn
4. You're Fired
5. but, Miss....
6. Racist
7. Is that really the size? Let me get you one size up!
Then, I started to think of works that also make the sound...Onomatopoeia: Smack. Wham. Blam, Those words hurt too!
*giggles*
What about you?
Thursday, March 05, 2009
Writers Workshop: Words hurt!
Single Suburbian blah blah blah from Superstar at 10:41 PM

7 Left me pearls of wisdom:
Enjoyed your post.
A long time ago, I heard someone interview Johnny Carson (maybe it was David Frost, not sure) and they were talking about guests sometimes saying obscene words on his show that had to be bleeped out. Carson said that those words weren't obscene to him. The words he found obscene were hurtful words like ethnic slurs ---words that are about who someone is, things that can't be changed, words that attack one's very being ---and he was so right.
This is one of those really powerful posts for me. After living through my husband's emotional abuse, I have a major rule in my house--no name calling. No one in my house is allowed to call anyone else a name. (And my chilis get in trouble if they do it outside the house and I find out about it.) We jokingly do sometimes, but mean or cruel names are not allowed.
--snow
I hate the word see you next tuesday. Hate it, I find it so anti woman. But any racial, gender or sexuality slur makes my skin crawl.
I'm ditto with Christina..
I got way to much lub in my heart!
Christina: It took me 24 hours and a man to interpet what you were trying to say! *giggles* I think the blond hair is starting to sink into my head!!
CJ: Love your comment. It is SO true. Those :attributes" that we can not change, even with the best plastic surgeons are the most hurtful!
Just: Im on vaca...it's party time sister!
Snow: Your Chillin's are the luckiest kids ever!!!!
I can think of 5 words that readily come to mind:
"Why would you do that?"
I strongly dislike those words in that exact order.
Wow- overdrawn. That brings back some memories...
Post a Comment